The best superfoods for smoothies boost energy, improve digestion, and support your immune health to enhance your overall well-being. Smoothies are a delicious way to ensure your body gets all the nutrients it needs in order to function optimally. From maca powder to hemp seeds, spirula, spinach, and more, here is a comprehensive list of superfoods for smoothies, including the benefits of each superfood, smoothie recipes to try, and our favorite brands to get them from!
This content contains affiliate links, which help goodfoodbaddie.com to provide free recipes and resources. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support of the blog!
What are Superfoods?
Superfoods are highly nutritious foods that improve overall health. They are often rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other bioactive compounds but low in calories.
Why You Should Add Superfoods to Your Smoothies
- A Nutrient Boost! Superfoods often contain essential nutrients such as vitamins (e.g., vitamin C, vitamin A, B vitamins), minerals (e.g., iron, magnesium, potassium), and antioxidants. Adding these foods to your smoothies can help you meet your daily nutrient requirements more easily.
- Customizable! Tailor your superfood smoothies to your specific health goals and dietary preferences by choosing superfoods that align with your needs.
- Easy! Superfoods are a cheat code for healthy eating. Easily add them to your morning smoothie.
The Best Superfoods To Add To Smoothies
Wondering what to put in a superfood smoothie? There are so many superfoods to choose from but these are some of the best and each includes a smoothie recipe to try!
1. MACA POWDER
Maca powder comes from the root of the maca plant (Lepidium meyenii), which is native to the Andes mountains of Peru. This adaptogenic root has been used for centuries in traditional medicine. Athletes use it as a supplement to boost energy. It’s also rich in nutrients and has been touted as a natural aphrodisiac that boosts libido.
Health Benefits of Maca Powder
- It’s high in amino acids, flavonoids which help boost mood and reduce anxiety. One study showed that it reduced feelings of depression and anxiety.
- It can improve memory and can aid in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Maca may relieve symptoms of menopause, such as hot flashes and irregular sleep patterns.
Our Recommendation: Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Gelatinized Maca Powder | Amazon
Spirulina is a nutritious blue-green algae that comes from the sea. It was originally used by the Aztecs during the 14th century. Today, it is used to detoxify the body, boost the immune system, and relieve allergy symptoms.
Health Benefits of Spirulina
- It improves digestion by promoting the growth of healthy gut bacteria.
- Spirulina can significantly reduce blood pressure when taken daily.
- The algae support eye health and good vision. It contains zeaxanthin, a plant pigment that can reduce the risk of cataracts.
Our Recommendation: Micro Ingredients Organic Spirulina Powder | Amazon
3. HEMP SEEDS
Hemp seeds are a plant-based protein. It’s an excellent source of magnesium and essential fatty acids. They are technically nuts and can be consumed raw. Hemp seeds break down easily and when blended, they become creamy.
Health Benefits of Hemp Seeds
- Hemp seeds contain gamma-linolenic acid, an anti-inflammatory omega-6 fatty acid. It has been linked to the reduction of arthritis-associated pain.
- It can relieve symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). The gamma-linolenic acid present in hemp seeds can also improve hormone imbalances.
- Some studies suggest that acne is linked to a lack of omega-3s. Hemp seeds are also rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which can reduce inflammation and acne symptoms.
Our Recommendation: Navitas Organics Organic Raw Hemp Seeds Bag | Amazon
Cacao is the purest form of chocolate and one of my favorite superfoods for smoothies. It provides a deep chocolate flavor but boasts major health benefits. It’s packed with antioxidants, is a great plant-based source of iron, and also has anti-inflammatory properties.
Health Benefits of Cacao
- Cacao powder contains flavonoids which increase insulin sensitivity, in turn reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- The flavanols in cacao boost nitric oxide levels which consequentially reduces blood pressure.
- Cacao is a natural anti-depressant. It contains serotonin, a neurotransmitter associated with happiness and general well-being.
Our Recommendation: Viva Naturals Organic Cacao Powder | Amazon
5. CHAGA MUSHROOM POWDER
Chaga mushroom powder is extracted from raw mushrooms. It’s high in antioxidants and is anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory. You can also use lion’s mane or a mushroom blend as superfoods for smoothies.
Health Benefits of Chaga Mushrooms
- It protects liver tissue from damage. Additionally, the antioxidants in chaga mushrooms reduce oxidative stress (which is responsible for chronic liver diseases like non-alcoholic fatty liver disease).
- Chaga mushroom has anti-cancer properties, that can prevent diseases or slow its growth. The antioxidants present in the mushroom extract prevent cell damage caused by free radicals.
- Consuming chaga mushrooms can reduce bad cholesterol, protecting the body against cardiovascular disease.
Turmeric contains curcumin, a compound with anti-inflammatory properties. It relieves muscle pain, allergies, and digestive issues. You can use ground turmeric or fresh turmeric root for superfood smoothies.
Health Benefits of Turmeric
- Studies show that curcumin in turmeric regulates blood sugar levels, which can help prevent type 2 diabetes.
- Consuming turmeric can relieve the symptoms of viral infections like herpes and the flu.
- It’s great for brain health. One study showed that two servings of turmeric a day improved memory in adults with dementia. It reduces brain inflammation which can increase cognition.
Our Recommendation: SPICE TRAIN, Organic Turmeric Powder | Amazon
7. CAMU CAMU
Camu camu, also known as myrciaria dubia, is a sour berry that’s the perfect superfood for smoothies. It adds a bright, tart sweetness to beverages. The fruit is rich in vitamin C, antiviral, and loaded with antibiotics.
Health Benefits of Camu Camu
- This berry can help to reduce inflammation in the body. Chronic inflammation is linked to conditions like cancer and autoimmune diseases.
- It supports overall health by altering the gut microbiota (a microorganism associated with immune function).
- Camu camu berries have been proven to prevent clogging in the heart and arteries, therefore reducing the risk of heart disease.
Our Recommendation: Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Camu Camu Powder | Amazon
Moringa is a fast-growing, drought-resistant tree native to parts of South Asia, including India, Pakistan, and Nepal. The tree is valued for its nutritional and medicinal properties, and its various parts are used for culinary, dietary, and traditional purposes. It is rich in protein, antioxidants, and nutrients.
Health Benefits of Moringa
- Research suggests that moringa may help regulate blood sugar levels, potentially benefiting individuals with diabetes. It can also improve insulin sensitivity.
- Moringa leaves and pods are rich in dietary fiber, which can aid in digestion and promote a healthy gut.
- Moringa is a good source of essential nutrients like calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium, which are important for maintaining strong and healthy bones.
Our Recommendation: Kuli Kuli Moringa Vegetable Powder | Amazon
Ashwagandha is an ancient medicinal herb that has been used for centuries in traditional Ayurvedic medicine, primarily in India. It supports the immune system, aids in hormonal balance, helps to regulate blood sugar, and is one of the best superfoods for smoothies.
Health Benefits of Ashwagandha
- Ashwagandha is often referred to as an adaptogen, which means it may help the body adapt to stress and reduce cortisol levels. Some studies suggest that it may have an anxiolytic (anxiety-reducing) effect and may help manage stress-related symptoms.
- Traditional use of the medicinal herb suggests that it may help improve energy levels and overall vitality. It is believed to have a rejuvenating effect on the body.
- Ashwagandha has been linked to improved sexual function and fertility in both men and women. It may have aphrodisiac properties and support reproductive health.
Our Recommendation: Spice Train Ashwagandha Root Powder | Amazon
10. CHIA SEEDS
These small seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. This plant-based protein is good for your heart, hydration, and digestive health.
Health Benefits of Chia Seeds
- Because they are high in fiber and protein, chia seeds can help with weight management by promoting a feeling of fullness and reducing overall calorie intake.
- Chia seeds can absorb a significant amount of water, forming a gel-like consistency. This property may help with hydration and electrolyte balance, particularly during physical activity.
- Chia seeds’ soluble fiber content can help stabilize blood sugar levels by slowing down the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates. This can be beneficial for individuals with type 2 diabetes.
Our Recommendation: Viva Naturals Organic Chia Seeds | Amazon
11. SEA MOSS
Sea moss (also referred to as Irish sea moss or Chondrus crispus) is an edible seaweed packed with essential vitamins. It improves thyroid function, aids in weight loss, and improves skin texture. Check out this easy sea moss gel recipe to learn how to make your own for easy smoothie recipes.
Health Benefits of Sea Moss
- Sea moss promotes healthy digestion. It contains dietary fiber, which supports regular bowel movements and gut health.
- Sea moss is a natural source of iodine, a mineral that is important for proper thyroid function. Adequate iodine intake is essential for the production of thyroid hormones, which play a crucial role in regulating metabolism and energy levels.
- Sea moss can relieve respiratory conditions like coughs, bronchitis, and congestion due to its mucilage content.
12. ACAI POWDER
Acai powder is derived from the acai berry, which is a small, dark purple fruit native to the Amazon rainforest in South America. These berries are one of the most popular superfoods for smoothies. Acai powder is made by freeze-drying berries and then grinding them into a fine powder.
Health Benefits of Acai Powder
- The antioxidants in acai berries may contribute to healthy skin by protecting against the damaging effects of ultraviolet (UV) radiation and promoting collagen production.
- Antioxidants and healthy fats in acai berries can positively impact cognitive function and memory.
- Acai berries contain compounds with potential anti-inflammatory effects, which could help in reducing inflammation and its associated health risks.
Our Recommendation: Micro Ingredients Organic Freeze-Dried Acai Powder | Amazon
Everyday Foods Like:
Avocados are a healthy fat and one of the easiest superfoods to use for smoothies. This green fruit has leathery skin and a large pit. But the avocado itself lends a smooth, thick, creamy texture to smoothies. It’s nutrient-rich and great for heart and eye health.
Health Benefits of Avocado
- Although they are relatively calorie-dense, avocados aid in weight management due to their high fiber content, which helps you feel full for longer.
- Avocados contain vitamin K, which is important for bone health and helps in calcium absorption.
- Some nutrients are fat-soluble, meaning they need to be consumed with dietary fats to be properly absorbed. Adding avocados to your smoothies can enhance the absorption of these nutrients.
This common fruit is actually a superfood with anti-aging properties. It’s rich in antioxidants and boasts a high amount of vitamins and minerals.
Health Benefits of Blueberries
- The vitamins and antioxidants in blueberries, (including vitamin C) contribute to a stronger immune system which helps defend the body against infections.
- The antioxidants in blueberries, particularly lutein and zeaxanthin, are beneficial for eye health and may reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration and other vision problems.
- Blueberries have a relatively low glycemic index and can help improve insulin sensitivity. This can be beneficial for managing blood sugar levels, especially for individuals with diabetes or those at risk of developing diabetes.
Spinach is a nutritious leafy green vegetable with a wide range of nutritious benefits. It’s linked to cancer prevention and improved cognitive function. It’s also rich in nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, iron, calcium, and potassium.
Health Benefits of Spinach
- Spinach is a great source of antioxidants like beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin. These compounds protect cells from oxidative stress and contribute to reducing the risk of chronic diseases, including certain types of cancer.
- The fiber in spinach supports healthy digestion and can help prevent constipation. It promotes regular bowel movements and contributes to a healthy gut.
- Spinach is low in calories and carbohydrates but high in fiber. This combination makes it a good choice for those looking to manage their weight or incorporate more nutritious foods into their diet.
What should you not mix in a smoothie?
While certain ingredients can make your smoothie taste as heavenly as a milkshake, they might not be the best for your well-being. When crafting your blend, skip the sugary fruit juices, ice cream, syrupy canned fruits, frozen yogurt, or chocolate drizzles. Reserve these delights as occasional treats rather than an everyday affair. Your body and taste buds will thank you!
I Hope You Enjoy This List of Superfoods for Smoothies!
Let me know what you think of this list of superfoods for smoothies in the comments. Leave a quick review & star rating ★ below! Then take pictures, tag #goodfoodbaddie, and share them with me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest because I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchen.