This maca smoothie is a silky smooth delicious blend of banana, cacao powder, and maca root powder. This rich, chocolatey smoothie may taste like an indulgence but it’s actually full of nutritious ingredients that will have you feeling refreshed and re-energized. Enjoy it as breakfast on the go, a post-workout snack, or when you’re craving something sweet. (This recipe is vegan and naturally gluten-free.)
For more maca beverages, try our Maca Coffee, Golden Maca Latte, and Healthy Maca Hot Chocolate next!
One sip of this chocolate maca smoothie and you’ll be in chocolatey bliss! It tastes like a malt chocolate shake in flavor and texture but it’s so much better for you. This beverage is sweetened with maple syrup and enhanced with cinnamon. With inclusions like maca root and sea moss gel, this maca smoothie will boost your energy, endurance, and stamina.
Reasons This Maca Smoothie Recipe Works
- Nutritious! The main ingredients are nutrient-rich cacao and the superfood maca so it’s a healthy replacement for sugar-filled smoothies.
- Quick & Easy! This is perfect for busy days when you need to replenish but don’t have a lot of time. Simply blend, pour, and go.
- Diet Friendly! This smoothie is vegan and gluten-free so everyone can enjoy it.
What is Maca?
Maca root, also known as Peruvian Ginseng, is an adaptogenic plant native to the Andes Mountains of Peru. It has been used for its medicinal properties for centuries. It has a warm, earthy, nutty flavor and is most commonly used in powder form.
You can add maca powder to your diet easily by adding it to juices, warm drinks, porridge, cereals, oatmeal, stews, smoothies, and more! It can be used as an energizer that fights fatigue and increases stamina. You can learn more about maca and the types of maca in my Maca Coffee Post.
Maca Smoothie Benefits
Maca plant offers a wide variety of benefits and it is a great addition to your diet! Here are some ways it can improve your overall health:
- High in calcium, amino acids, vitamins, and minerals
- Can help reduce stress by mitigating cortisol levels
- Improves libido
- Contains flavonoids, which may help improve mood and reduce anxiety.
- May improve learning and memory
- Rich in antioxidants that help to fight off cell damage and disease
- Can help with hormonal balance and has been used to help menopause, PCOS, and female fertility issues
- Improves fertility in men
- Supports a healthier metabolism
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Maca Powder: I use yellow maca powder but you can use whichever variety you prefer.
- Bananas: Use frozen bananas cut into large pieces for the thicker consistency you expect from a smoothie.
- Raw Cacao Powder: Not to be mistaken with cocoa powder, cacao is high in antioxidants. It’s also a great source of mood-boosting chemicals like serotonin, tryptophan, tyrosine, and phenylethylamine. This provides the chocolate taste.
- Hemp Seeds: Hemp Seeds contain a high level of omega 3 and omega 6 essential fatty acids, and are also a great source of protein and fiber.
- Cinnamon: It provides a warm, sweet taste and adds even more nutrients.
- Maple Syrup: This natural sweetener is optional.
- Sea Moss Gel: This incredible superfood detoxifies the body, helps boost the immune system, and aids in digestive health. You can also use 1-2 teaspoons of Sea Moss Powder instead.
- Nondairy Milk: Use your favorite non-dairy milk. Almond milk and oat milk work well. If you’d like to make your own oat milk from scratch, try our 5-minute Homemade Oat Milk Recipe.
How to Make Maca Smoothie
Combine all the ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. If your smoothie is thicker than you’d like, add more liquid. If you would like your smoothie thicker, add ice or more frozen fruit, until you reach your desired consistency.
- Smoothie Bowl: Enjoy this as a maca smoothie bowl. Top it with homemade granola and fruit.
- Peanut Butter Maca Smoothie: Switch up the flavor and add protein by using your favorite nut butter, like almond butter or peanut butter.
- Maca Smoothie Without Banana: If you don’t like the taste of bananas, there are other ingredients you can use to thicken the smoothie. Some alternatives are avocado, zucchini, or protein powder.
Tips To Nail the Recipe
- This recipe makes two smoothies. You can save one in an airtight jar for later or share it with a friend
- Use frozen fruit for the best results. It enhances the flavor and provides a frosty texture. If you use room-temperature fruit, you will have to use ice which could water down the smoothie.
- To make this even more of a treat, top it with coconut whipped cream.
Serve maca smoothies fresh for best results. To store, refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Shake before drinking.
What does maca do in smoothies?
Maca adds nutrients and a nutty flavor to smoothies. It pairs well with creamy banana, chocolate, and nut-based drinks.
When is it best to drink a maca smoothie?
It is best to drink this smoothie at the start of your day, after a workout, after lunch or mid-afternoon, or after a heavy meal. Because of its energizing effects, it is best to drink it several hours before going to bed.
Is it OK to have maca every day?
Maca is not associated with any adverse side effects so it is considered a safe food for supplemental purposes. However, due to its effect on hormones, people with thyroid problems should avoid taking maca. Always consult with a doctor before introducing any new supplements into your diet.
I Hope You Enjoy This Maca Smoothie Recipe!
If you try the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments. Leave a quick review & star rating ★ below! Take pictures, tag #goodfoodbaddie, and share them with me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest! I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchen.
More Healthy Smoothie Recipes To Try!
- Spirulina Smoothie
- Best Coffee Smoothie
- Post Workout Smoothie
- Moringa Papaya Smoothie
- Chocolate Raspberry Sea Moss Smoothie
- 1 tbsp Maca Powder
- 2 Frozen Bananas cut into large pieces
- 2 tbsp Raw Cacao Powder
- 2 tbsp Hemp Seeds
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup optional
- 2-3 tbsp Sea Moss Gel (or 1-2 tsp Sea Moss Powder) option
- 1 cup Nondairy Milk of Choice plus more as needed
- Combine all the ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
- If your smoothie is thicker than you’d like, add more liquid. If you would like your smoothie thicker, add ice or more frozen fruit, until you reach your desired consistency.