This Antioxidant Smoothie is a delicious blend made with immunity-boosting berries and healthy fats like avocado and almond butter. Creamy, naturally sweetened, and lusciously smooth, this triple berry smoothie is a tasty and nutritious way to kick start your day. (This recipe is naturally gluten-free and vegan.)
This berry antioxidant smoothie is made with blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries. There’s no need to run to Jamba Juice when you can make the best antioxidant smoothie right at home. Drink a glass for breakfast as a meal replacement or enjoy it as a mid-day pick-me-up.
Reasons This Antioxidant Smoothie Recipe Works
- Super Nutritious! Berries are the ultimate superfood. They’re packed with antioxidants that help prevent diseases and cell damage.
- So Easy to Make! As with all of my smoothie recipes, simply combine your ingredients in the blender, blend until smooth, then enjoy!
- A Healthy Treat! Grab a straw and sip guilt-free because this drink is delicious but it also has plenty of vitamins, nutrients, fiber, and protein.
- Perfect Beverage Year Round! Drink it as a refreshing way to cool down during the summer but also to combat winter illnesses and boost your immune system during the colder months.
What are antioxidants?
It may just seem like a health buzz word but antioxidants are a real thing and super beneficial to the human body. When our bodies process food or are exposed to UV rays or tobacco, free radicals form. Free radicals are oxygen-containing molecules with an uneven number of electrons. Because of this imbalance, free radicals are constantly trying to take electrons from other parts of your body. These harmful atoms can lead to oxidation, which can cause illnesses like cancer and heart disease.
But antioxidants protect us from free radicals, providing electrons, therefore helping to prevent certain illnesses and diseases. Find natural antioxidants in foods like tomatoes, pomegranates, dark leafy greens, certain kinds of nuts, and of course, berries.
Antioxidant Smoothie Benefits
This antioxidant smoothie has so many health benefits. Here are a few:
- Blueberries contain flavonoids which are plant-based antioxidants that can reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure, and prevent hypertension.
- Studies have proven that regularly consuming berries reduces the risk of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease.
- Strawberries are a rich source of Vitamin C, a nutrient that is essential to the maintenance and repair of blood vessels, collagen, bones, and scar tissue.
- Spinach helps decrease oxidative stress, alleviate constipation, and reduce blood pressure.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Blueberries: Blueberries contain beta-carotene, which converts into Vitamin A, which is excellent for healthy skin and good eye health.
- Frozen Blackberries: This fruit is high in manganese, a mineral that is vital to a healthy immune system.
- Strawberries: Newer studies suggest that strawberries may be linked to better gut health. Use fresh or frozen.
- Almond Butter: Use this or your preferred nut butter to add creaminess and protein. This helps you feel full for longer. Use sunflower seed butter to make this smoothie nut-free.
- Avocado: Because they’re packed with fiber, avocados help improve digestion. Use frozen or fresh.
- Fresh Spinach: This superfood assists with weight loss and reduces hypertension.
- Ground Flax Seed: This provides a boost of fiber, protein, and minerals.
- Non-dairy Milk: Almond milk, coconut milk, or oat milk are all great options but result in various flavors. If you love the taste and texture of milk but are avoiding dairy, try my 5-minute homemade oat milk recipe.
How to Make an Antioxidant Smoothie
BLEND. Combine all the ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
ADJUST & SERVE. If your smoothie is thicker than you’d like, add more liquid. If you would like your smoothie thicker, add ice or more frozen fruit, until you reach your desired consistency.
Tips To Nail the Recipe
- Use a mix of fresh and frozen ingredients for a thicker smoothie. If you use only fresh ingredients, you will need to add ice cubes which may water down the drink.
- Using frozen berries doesn’t mean the ingredients aren’t fresh. Most fruit is frozen when they’re ripe and in season.
- Add more non-dairy milk to the blender if the drink gets too thick. Pour it in slowly so you can achieve the desired consistency.
- Fruit: Use bananas as a natural sweetener and raspberries can be used as an alternative for any of the berry varieties.
- More Veggies: Use frozen cauliflower as a tasteless way to thicken your antioxidant smoothie and sneak more vegetables in. Or opt for dark leafy greens like kale or collard greens.
- Dairy: Use plain Greek yogurt for a delightful tangy flavor. It’s low in sugar but provides extra protein.
- Add Seeds: Use chia seeds or hemp seeds for added texture. They are also healthy fats loaded with omegas and minerals.
- Supplements: If you want to drink this post-workout, consider adding protein powder. It helps with muscle recovery and makes you feel full for longer.
Store leftover smoothies in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. This smoothie is best when enjoyed immediately after making it.
What does an antioxidant smoothie do?
When consumed regularly, antioxidant-rich smoothies can decrease inflammation, boost the immune system, and even improve cognitive functions.
Is it OK to drink smoothies every day?
Although you can drink smoothies daily, be mindful of the sugar levels. If sweetening, be mindful of refined sugar. But even fruit can have a lot of sugar. Make sure you are consuming well-balanced smoothies that contain fruits and vegetables.
What should you not mix in a smoothie?
If you want to keep your antioxidant smoothie healthy, avoid adding processed sugars from fruit juices, canned fruits, or ice cream.
I Hope You Enjoy This Antioxidant Smoothie Recipe!
If you try the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments. Leave a quick review & star rating ★ below! Take pictures, tag #goodfoodbaddie, and share them with me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest! I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchen.
More Antioxidant-Rich Recipes To Try!
- Post Workout Smoothie
- No Bake Turmeric Balls
- Pineapple and Cucumber Juice
- Easy No-Bake Superfood Energy Bars
- 4-Ingredient Elderberry Tea
- Rosemary Tea with Blueberry and Pomegranate
- Hibiscus Tea with Ginger, Turmeric, and Citrus
Best Antioxidant Smoothie
- 1 cup Blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup Frozen Blackberries
- 1 cup Strawberries fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp Almond Butter
- 1/2 cup Avocado frozen or fresh (1 small avocado)
- 1.5 cup Fresh Spinach (two handfuls)
- 1 tbsp Ground Flax Seed
- 1.5 cup Non-dairy Milk plus more as needed
- Combine all the ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
- If your smoothie is thicker than you’d like, add more liquid. If you would like your smoothie thicker, add ice or more frozen fruit, until you reach your desired consistency.