Lemon blueberry bread is a sweet, citrusy quick bread that’s soft, fluffy, and bursting with blueberries in every bite. Enjoy this yummy loaf with breakfast, brunch, or as an anytime snack or dessert. (This recipe is gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and easily customizable.)
Gluten-free lemon blueberry bread is tart with bright flavors that make it totally irresistible. Blueberry and lemons are a delicious duo that tastes like spring. Each mouthwatering buttery bite is packed with blueberry flavor and fresh lemons. Get ready for the best blueberry lemon bread you’ve ever tasted!
Reasons This Lemon Blueberry Bread Recipe Works
- Easy to Prepare! With only 10 minutes of prep work, this easy lemon blueberry bread recipe is perfect for baking beginners. And since this is a simple quick bread recipe, it’s made without yeast. You don’t even need an electric mixer.
- A Sweet Treat! This gluten-free blueberry bread may taste indulgent but it is made with natural sweetener and simple ingredients!
- So Versatile! Add or omit ingredients based on your taste buds and make this without or without glaze.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour: To keep this quick bread recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free all-purpose flour. Be sure that it contains xanthan gum which acts as a binder in gluten-free baking. If you are not sensitive to gluten, you can easily substitute it with regular all-purpose flour.
- Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Sea Salt: This helps the bread rise.
- Large eggs: This binds the ingredients together.
- Plain Dairy-Free Yogurt: This helps to keep the lemon blueberry bread moist and fluffy.
- Coconut Sugar: No processed granulated sugar is necessary! Coconut sugar is a great option and gives the blueberry bread a warm almost caramel-like flavor.
- Butter (vegan or regular): Use melted butter. Use melted coconut oil instead for a dairy-free option.
- Frozen blueberries: Do not thaw them or the bread will become soggy.
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice: For a pop of fresh citrus taste.
- Zest from 1 lemon: This is a must and enhances the lemon flavor.
- Lemon extract: This is an optional ingredient for lemon lovers. It boosts the lemon flavor but with just 1/2 teaspoon, it’s not overpowering.
How to Make Lemon Blueberry Bread
PREP. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (176 degrees C). Line a 8×4 loaf pan with parchment paper, with the paper hanging over at least the two long sides.
COMBINE INGREDIENTS. Mix together the wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Set aside. Mix together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Pour dry ingredients into the large bowl of wet ingredients, using a spatula or whisk to stir. Coat the blueberries in a tablespoon of flour. Then, add the blueberries to the batter and fold in the blueberries with a spatula.
BAKE. Bake the bread for 40 minutes first, then tent with foil and bake another 10-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the lemon blueberry bread rest in the loaf pan for 20 minutes. Then, gently remove it from the loaf pan and place it on a wire rack to cool completely.
Optional Lemon Glaze
Top your Lemon Blueberry Loaf with a sweet lemon glaze. It’s made with 4 ingredients and ready in minutes! You’ll need:
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Simply whisk the ingredients together until smooth. Then, pour the glaze evenly over the blueberry lemon loaf. Give it a few minutes to set, then slice and enjoy!
Tips To Nail the Recipe
- Allow the lemon blueberry bread to cool before slicing it.
- Use room-temperature eggs in order to keep the bread moist.
- Coat the frozen blueberries in a tablespoon of flour to prevent them from sinking to the bottom while baking
- Prevent the bread from cooking too fast and drying out by tenting the bread with aluminum foil during the last 15 minutes of baking.
Variations + Substitutions
- Lemon Glaze: Make this treat even more indulgent by adding a delicious drizzle. Once the blueberry bread has cooled, apply a lemon glaze made with melted butter, powdered sugar, fresh lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
- Possible Add-Ins: Consider adding any of the following ingredients: poppy seeds, vanilla extract, almond extract, blackberries, raspberries, Greek yogurt, sour cream, and chopped nuts (almonds, pecans. or walnut).
Store leftover lemon blueberry bread in an airtight container in order to prevent it from drying out. It will last up to 3 days at room temperature.
For longer storage, place it in the fridge for up to one week. You can also freeze the loaf once it has completely cooled. Wrap it tightly with plastic wrap then in a freezer-safe plastic bag for up to 3 months. Allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator or sit at room temperature to defrost.
Why didn’t my gluten-free lemon blueberry bread rise?
Gluten-free all-purpose flour varies depending on the brand. Be sure. touse one that contains xanthan gum. Using leavening agents like baking soda and eggs helps the bread to expand and gives it the fluffy consistency you expect from baked goods. Ensure you are using the proper measurements for each ingredient for the best results.
What to serve with lemon blueberry bread?
How many calories are in a slice of blueberry lemon bread?
A single serving of this recipe is just 175 calories.
I Hope You Enjoy This Lemon Blueberry Bread Recipe!
If you try the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments. Leave a quick review & star rating ★ below! Take pictures, tag #goodfoodbaddie, and share them with me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest! I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchen.
More Easy Gluten-Free Baking Recipes To Try!
Lemon Blueberry Bread
- 1.5 cups Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour (that contains xanthan gum) (can sub with regular all purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 cup Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter (vegan or regular) melted (or coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup Plain Dairy-Free Yogurt (or regular yogurt)
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Zest
- ½ teaspoon Lemon Extract optional
- 1 cup Frozen Blueberries + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour to coat the berries do not thaw (coating the berries prevents them from sinking to the bottom)
Lemon Glaze (Optional)
- 2 tablespoons Butter melted
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (176 degrees C). Line an 8×4 (or 9×5) loaf pan with parchment paper, with the paper hanging over at least the two long sides.
- Mix together the wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Set aside. Mix together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Pour dry ingredients into the large bowl of wet ingredients, using a spatula or whisk to stir.
- Coat the blueberries in a tablespoon of flour. Then, add the blueberries to the batter and fold in the blueberries with a spatula.
- Bake the bread for 40 minutes uncovered first. Then, tent with foil and bake another 10-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the lemon blueberry bread rest in the loaf pan for 20 minutes. Then, gently remove it from the loaf pan and place it on a wire rack to cool completely.
- If adding lemon glaze on top: Whisk together the ingredients for the lemon glaze. Then, pour it evenly on top of the bread. Allow the bread to rest for 5 minutes for the glaze to set.
- Slice and enjoy!