What is Soursop?Soursop, also known as guanabana, guyabano, paw-paw, sirsak, and graviola, is a delicious tropical fruit known for its sweet creamy flavor and incredible health benefits. It’s a member of the Annonaceae family, commonly referred to as the custard apple family, and it’s typically described as having a tangy, slightly sweet taste, or a cross between a pineapple, strawberries, and banana with a slight citrus tinge. On the outside, it looks like a large jackfruit or oversized avocado but it is covered with thorny spikes, and the inside is white and fleshy with large black seeds.
What flavors pair well with soursop?Because of the creamy, slightly sweet flavor of soursop, it pairs perfectly with mango, pineapple, avocado, papaya, banana, and coconut. The combination with any of these fruits would create a tasty tropical drink. Soursop is an incredibly nutritious fruit with tons of health benefits. It gained tons of popularity after Dr. Sebi, a renowned herbalist who promotes healing through an alkaline plant-based diet, shared his love for soursop tea. If you want to enjoy the benefits of soursop without having to make a tea or purchase soursop tea leaves, making a smoothie is a great option!
Soursop Smoothie Health Benefits:
- Boosts Immune Health: Soursop is high in Vitamin C, an antioxidant that strengthens your immune system.
- Improves Digestion: Fiber helps promote digestive health, maintain bowel health, and promote regularity. One Soursop fruit provides about 83% of your daily recommended amount of dietary fiber!
- Fights Inflammation: It’s high in antioxidants like phytosterols, tannins, and flavonoids that help to reduce inflammation and cell damage.
- Improves Heart Health: Studies have shown that soursop can help lower blood pressure.
- It Contains Essential Vitamins and Minerals: Such as magnesium, B vitamins, Folate, potassium, calcium, iron, and zinc.
Ingredients You’ll Need To Make This Soursop Drink (guanabana smoothie):
- Soursop Pulp: Fresh soursop can be hard to find. If using fresh soursop, make sure to remove the seeds because they are poisonous if consumed. If you cannot find fresh soursop, use frozen soursop puree. We use Goya Frozen Soursop Pulp.
- Frozen Pineapple: This drink is a creamy combination of pineapple, soursop, and coconut. The flavors combined are tropical and sweet.
- Coconut Cream: Make sure to use thick coconut cream from the can. You can get coconut cream by placing a can of full-fat coconut milk in the fridge overnight. It will solidify, leaving the coconut cream on top and liquid at the bottom.
- Non-Dairy Milk: Use your favorite dairy-free milk of choice. Hemp Milk, Coconut Milk, or Almond Milk work great in this smoothie.
- Agave Syrup: We use natural sweetener to give this smoothie the perfect amount of sweetness that compliments the fresh fruit. If you do not have agave syrup you can also use honey.
- Vanilla: Soursop has a natural subtle vanilla taste. The addition of vanilla extract highlights soursops natural flavor and helps to make the perfect tropical smoothie.
- Sea Moss Gel: For a sea moss and soursop smoothie, add 1-2 tbsp sea moss gel when blending the ingredients. Check out this post if you want to learn how to make sea moss gel: Easy Homemade Sea Moss Gel Recipe.
- Hemp Seeds: For a bit of extra protein, antioxidants, and omega-3 fatty acid, add 1-2 tbsp of hemp seeds. When they are blending with liquid it becomes a creamy texture that will blend in perfectly with the other ingredients.
- Spinach: The addition of spinach will change the color of the smoothie to a bright green. Add a handful of spinach for extra calcium, vitamin A, and iron.
It can be challenging to find soursop in the grocery store. Some have luck finding it in Brazillian or Caribbean markets. You can also buy organic soursop fruit online and get it shipped to your home.
Ripe soursop will be light yellowish-green in color. When it is this color and soft to the touch, this indicates it is ready to be eaten.
Soursop is an alkaline-forming food, which means it has an alkalizing effect on the body once it is digested and metabolized.
How To Make A Soursop Smoothie
- Combine all the ingredients into a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. If you are using fresh soursop, be sure to remove the seeds as they are inedible.
- If you would like the drink to be a thinner consistency, add more non-dairy milk. If you would like the drink to be thicker, add ice cubes or more frozen pineapple.
- Serve and enjoy!
How To Store Any Leftover Soursop?If you’re using fresh soursop, remove the flesh and store it in an airtight container or freezer-proof bag and keep it in the freezer until you are ready to enjoy it.
How Long Can You Store A Smoothie In The Fridge?It is best to enjoy your smoothie immediately after making it. If you have any leftover, you can store it in an airtight mason jar and keep it in the fridge. It is best to costume it within 24 hours.
I hope you enjoy this Soursop Smoothie Recipe!If you try the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments below! Take pictures, tag #goodfoodbaddie, and share them with me on Instagram! I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchen.
More Delicious Healthy Smoothie Recipes!
- Blueberry Almond Sea Moss Smoothie
- Carrot Ginger Turmeric Smoothie
- Moringa Papaya Smoothie
- Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
- Cantaloupe Juice (Quick and Easy!)
- 16 Healthy Superfood Smoothies to Jumpstart Your Day!
- Refreshing Honeydew Juice
- Chocolate Raspberry Sea Moss Smoothie
Soursop Smoothie Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup Soursop Pulp, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup Frozen Pineapple Chunks
- 1/4 cup Coconut Cream
- 1 cup Non-dairy milk of choice, plus more as desired
- 2 tbsp Agave Syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Combine all the ingredients into a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
- If you are using fresh soursop, be sure to remove the seeds as they are inedible.If you would like the drink to be a thinner consistency, add more non-dairy milk. If you would like the drink to be thicker, add ice cubes or more frozen pineapple.
- Serve and enjoy!