This dairy-free hot chocolate recipe is made with creamy almond milk, rich cacao, naturally sweetened with date syrup, then topped with vegan marshmallows — talk about a sweet treat! It’s a delicious, healthy hot chocolate packed with antioxidants, calcium, and amino acids, while still being super tasty and satisfying!
If you love warm winter drinks, then you’ll love my Dairy-Free Eggnog or my Golden Milk Latte recipe! OR, if you want to take your hot chocolate to a new level, try Hot Chocolate Bombs or Superfood Hot Chocolate!
This content contains affiliate links, which help goodfoodbaddie.com to provide free recipes and resources. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support of the blog!
Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate Recipe
This Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate is a winter-time must! It tastes EVEN BETTER than regular hot chocolate, and can be made in less than 5 minutes!
It is perfect for those cold winter days when you need something quick and sweet to warm you up. Sometimes I even like to make spiked hot chocolate for those special occasions and holiday gatherings! That’s the beauty of this recipe: it is super easy to make and perfect for both kids and adults!
Cacao helps to make the Hot Chocolate both rich in flavor and incredibly nutritious!
Cacao (Pronounced Kuh-Cow) is one of the most powerful superfoods!
- Raw Cacao is the healthy substitute for chocolate.
- The Cacao beans are seeds from the Theobroma Cacao Tree. Cocoa Powder comes from the same tree, but through heat and chemical processing loses all of its nutritional value!
- Raw Organic Cacao Powder, on the other hand, is minimally processed by cold-pressing raw cacao beans, therefore it retains all of its incredible nutrients!!
- Cacao has more antioxidants per gram than blueberries, goji berries, and pomegranates. (1)
- It’s High in magnesium- which helps relieve muscle tension, anxiety, and improves brain health (2)
- It has the highest plant-based source of iron! (3)
- Has a high level of Flavonoids- which boost heart health by lower cholesterol and blood pressure (4)
- It contains Amino Acids such as Tryptophan- which naturally helps to enhance relaxation and boost mood. (5)
If you’ve been following my food blog for a while, you know that I am obsessed with cacao and all its incredible nutrients and deep flavor! I use it often and for various dishes, like smoothies, chia pudding, and brownies!
There are several ways to incorporate Cacao into your diet.
An easy way to make your chocolate desserts a bit healthier is to substitute Organic Cacao for Cocoa powder.
It is an easy 1:1 ratio (replace 1g Cacao for 1 gram Cocoa Powder)!
Vegan Hot Chocolate
Because this hot chocolate is made completely from scratch, using healthy, clean ingredients, it is Vegan, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, and Refined Sugar-Free! It’s a delicious healthy hot chocolate recipe with rich, warm flavors!
How To Make Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate
Step 1: Heat The Ingredients In A Saucepan
Pour 2 cups almond milk into a pot over medium heat. Add cacao, ground cinnamon (optional), and date syrup (or maple syrup). Stir well until all the lumps have dissolved and the mixture is a smooth texture. Allow the mixture to come to a low boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add any optional add-ins. Pour your hot chocolate into your favorite mug, top with vegan marshmallows (or regular marshmallows), and a bit of cinnamon. Enjoy!
In one simple step your Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate is ready to enjoy!
Want To Make Spiked Hot Chocolate? Here’s How:
Step 2 (optional): Add your favorite alcohol to your hot chocolate to make boozy hot cocoa.
Once you remove the hot chocolate from the heat, stir in 1/4 cup of your favorite alcohol.
What Alcohol Goes With Chocolate
- Peppermint Schnapps, Cinnamon Liqueur
- Marshmallow Vodka
- Coffee Liqueur
- Pick your favorite! 🙂
I hope you enjoy this Homemade Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate Recipe!
If you try the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments. Leave a quick review & star rating ★ below! Take pictures, tag #goodfoodbaddie, and share them with me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest! I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchen.
More Healthy & Delicious Chocolate Recipes To Try!
- Healthy Maca Hot Chocolate
- Easy Sea Moss Chocolate Bark | Vegan
- Baked Vegan Chocolate Donuts (Gluten-Free)
- The Best Healthy Chocolate Granola | Vegan + Gluten-free
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins | Vegan & Gluten-Free
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Avocado Bread | Vegan
- Chocolate Raspberry Sea Moss Smoothie
Homemade Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups Almond Milk (or your favorite milk)
- 3 tbsp Cacao Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 3 tbsp Date Syrup or Maple Syrup, plus more if desired
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Rum or your favorite alcohol
- 3-4 Vegan Marshmallows
- Pinch of nutmeg for garnish
- Heat The Ingredients In A SaucepanPour 2 cups almond milk into a pot over medium heat. Add cacao, ground cinnamon (optional), and date syrup (or maple syrup). Stir well until all the lumps have dissolved and the mixture is a smooth texture.
- Allow the mixture to come to a low boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add any optional add-ins. Pour your hot chocolate into your favorite mug, top with vegan marshmallows (or regular marshmallows), and a bit of cinnamon. Enjoy!
How To Make Boozy Hot Chocolate
- Once removing the saucepan from the heat. Stir in rum or your desired alcohol.
- Pour the hot chocolate into your favorite mug. Top with marshmallows and cinnamon.
- Serving: 2
- Fat: 11.6g
- Calories: 358
- Protein 6g