A decadent, dairy-free hot chocolate made with creamy almond milk, rich cacao, sweetened with date syrup and topped with vegan marshmallows. The taste is even better than regular hot chocolate, and can be made in less than 5 minutes. This easy homemade hot chocolate recipe is a winter-time must! (Paleo, Vegan, Gluten-free)
Did I mention this homemade hot chocolate is rich, creamy, and absolutely delicious? Did I also mention that it is completely DAIRY-FREE!?
I have to say that this hot chocolate is perfect for those cold winter days when you need something quick and sweet to warm you up. Sometimes I even like to make spiked hot chocolate for those special occasions and holiday gatherings! That’s the beauty of this recipe, besides the fact that is super easy, it is perfect for the kids and the adults—a tasty, healthy, hot cocoa.
What is the secret to this richness of this hot chocolate?
It’s Cacao! Cacao (Pronounced Kuh-Cow) is one of the most powerful superfoods!
If you’ve been following my food blog for a while, you know that I am OBSESSED with cacao and all its incredible nutrients and deep flavor. I use it often and for various dishes, like cacao smoothies, cacao chia pudding, and cacao icing. Cacao is the healthy substitute for chocolate.
Cacao beans are seeds from the Theobroma Cacao Tree. Cocoa Powder (chocolate powder we are used to) comes from the same tree, but through heat and chemical processing loses all of its nutritional value!
- Raw Organic Cacao Powder, on the other hand, is minimally processed by cold-pressing raw cacao beans, so it retains all of its incredible nutrients!!
- Cacao has more antioxidants per gram than blueberries, goji berries, and pomegranates. (1)
- It’s High in magnesium- which helps relieve muscle tension, anxiety, and improves brain health (2)
- It has the highest plant-based source of iron! (3)
- Has a high level of Flavonoids- which boost heart health by lower cholesterol and blood pressure (4)
- It contains Amino Acids such as Tryptophan- which naturally helps to enhance relaxation and boost mood. (5)
There are several ways to incorporate Cacao into your diet.
An easy way to make your chocolate desserts a bit healthier is to substitute Organic Cacao for Cocoa powder. It is an easy 1:1 ratio (replace 1g Cacao for 1 gram Cocoa Powder), but the benefits are immense!
A Couple of Tips!
- When buying chocolate bars, aim for ones that are raw and organic.
- Try adding it to your smoothies!
Here’s how easy it is to make this delicious homemade hot chocolate! ( 3 Simple Steps!)
Pour 2 cups almond milk into a pot over medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons cacao, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional), and 3 tablespoons date syrup (or maple syrup). Stir well until all the lumps have dissolved and the mixture is a smooth texture.
Allow the mixture to come to a subtle boil (about 5 minutes), then lower the temperature. If you would like to make your hot chocolate boozy, now is the time to add any of your favorites spirits. Some popular alcohols to add to hot chocolate are Peppermint Schnapps, Cinnamon Liqueur, Marshmallow Vodka, Coffee Liqueur, Bourbon, Rum, or Whisky; so pick your favorite!
Pour your hot chocolate into your favorite mug, top with vegan marshmallows (or regular marshmallows), and a bit of cinnamon. Enjoy!
In three steps you have delicious hot chocolate! Skip the store brought hot cocoa and make this one at home. I promise you’ll love it!
Homemade Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups Almond Milk (or your favorite milk)
- 3 tbsp Cacao Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 3 tbsp Date or Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup Rum or your favorite alcohol
- 3-4 Vegan Marshmallows
- Pinch of nutmeg for garnish
- Pour the almond milk, cacao, syrup, and cinnamon into a medium sized pot over medium high heat. Stir until all lumps are removed.
- Allow the mixture to come to a subtle boil (about 5 minutes), then reduce the heat.
- Add the rum (optional). Stir well and remove the mixture from the heat.
- Pour the hot chocolate into your favorite mug. Top with marshmallows and cinnamon.
- Serving: 2
- Fat: 11.6g
- Calories: 358
- Protien 6g
Disclaimer: Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you and helps me keep my site running! I’m sharing these products because I use them, trust them, and cannot recommend them enough. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.