Air Fryer Turkey Legs are a full-flavored entrée seasoned with a smoky butter rub for a crispy outside with a juicy, tender inside. With easy prep, these turkey legs are ready in less than 45 minutes, with most of that time dedicated to cooking in the air fryer. (This simple but delicious recipe is completely gluten-free!)
These crispy Air Fryer Turkey Legs are enhanced with a smoky flavor that will have you savoring each and every bite. While this recipe is reminiscent of smoked turkey legs you’d normally get at Disney Land or amusement parks, it would actually be perfect for Thanksgiving!
With a quick and easy cleanup, it’s the ideal, hassle-free addition to a holiday feast. Of course, if you’re wanting to make a whole turkey for Thanksgiving, try my popular spatchcock turkey recipe, and cook an entire turkey in less than 2 hours! OR, if you love just the wings of the turkey, try my Tender Oven Baked Turkey Wings.
So you may be wondering, “Can you cook turkey legs in the air fryer?”
Yes, you most certainly can AND should! Cooking turkey legs in the air fryer is a super quick and easy way! However, if you do not have an air fryer, you can roast turkey legs in the oven and yield similar results.
Ingredients to Make Air Fryer Turkey Legs
- Turkey Legs/Drumsticks (2-3 lbs): You can typically find this at your local grocery store or butcher in packs of 2 or 3. If cooking lean turkey legs, adjust the cooking time.
- Smoky Butter Rub: You’ll need melted butter, smoked paprika, garlic powder, dried thyme, poultry seasoning, Herbs de Provence, salt, and pepper.
How To Cook Turkey Legs In The Air Fryer
IT’S SUPER EASY & EFFORTLESS!
- Cover turkey with seasoned butter rub. Try to get under the skin as well
- Place turkey legs in the air fryer basket. Try to leave space between them if possible.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes, or until the internal temperature of 165 is reached.
- Let the turkey legs rest for 5 minutes. Enjoy!
Crispy Air Fryer Turkey Legs
Forget those comments about dry Thanksgiving Turkey! The air fryer is the perfect way to cook crispy turkey legs while leaving the inside tender and juicy. Plus, you get mouthwatering smoky turkey legs without the hassle of having to use a smoker or grill!
How Long To Cook Turkey Legs In The Air Fryer?
It takes about 30-40 minutes to cook turkey legs in the air fryer. Cook time may vary depending on your particular air fryer and how many turkey legs it can hold at one time. The best way to check is to use an instant thermometer. The internal temperature should read 165°F when done.
How To Reheat Turkey Legs In The Air Fryer?
In order to reheat smoked turkey legs in an air fryer, preheat the air fryer to 350F. Then cook them for 5 minutes, flipping halfway through to ensure they heat evenly.
How Do You Defrost Turkey Legs Quickly?
Submerge the frozen turkey legs in cold water (do not remove the turkey legs from the packaging). They should defrost in 2-4 hours. You can also leave the turkey legs in the fridge overnight to thaw. For. the best results, thaw the turkey legs before cooking.
How To Air Fry Lean Turkey Legs?
If you are cooking lean turkey legs, reduce the cooking time to prevent the turkey legs from drying out. Start by cutting the cooking time in half, then cook longer if necessary. An instant thermometer should read 165°F when the turkey legs are done.
Should You Brine Turkey Legs Before Air Frying?
Brining the turkey legs is completely unnecessary if you are cooking them in the air fryer. The air fryer does a great job of keeping the inside of the turkey moist and tender. Plus, with the help of the butter rub, these turkey legs will be absolutely flavorful and juicy.
What To Eat With Your Air Fryer Turkey Legs?
Turkey legs are so versatile and pair well with just about anything! Here are a few side dish ideas:
- Accordion Potatoes
- Jalapeno Cheddar Biscuits
- Homemade Orange Cranberry Sauce
- Parsnip Mash
- Brussels Sprouts
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Hasselback Waffle Potatoes
I hope you enjoy this Air Fryer Turkey Leg Recipe!
If you try the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments. Leave a quick review & star rating ★ below! Take pictures, tag #goodfoodbaddie, and share them with me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest! I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchen.
Want More Delicious Air Fryer Recipes? Check These Out:
- Air Fryer Lobster Tail With Lemon Garlic Butter
- Gluten-Free Air Fryer Fish
- Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
- Air Fryer Cheese Stuffed Meatballs
- Air Fryer Fried Chicken Wings
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Breast (Gluten-Free)
- Honey Garlic Air Fryer Salmon
Air Fryer Turkey Legs
- Air Fryer
- 2 Turkey Legs/Drumsticks (2-3 lbs) (if using lean turkey legs cut the cooking time down by half)
- 1/3 cup Butter melted, reserve 1 tbsp to baste halfway
- 2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 2 tsp Poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Pepper or to taste
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 1 tsp Herbs de Provence (or Italian seasoning)
- 1/2 tsp Salt or to taste
- Pat the turkey legs dry with a clean cloth or paper towel.
- Prepare the smokey butter rub by mixing the seasonings with the melted butter.
- Cover turkey with seasoned butter rub. Try to get under the skin as well. (Remember to reserve one tablespoon of the mixture)
- Preheat the air basket to 400°F for 3 minutes. Then, place turkey legs in the air fryer basket. Try to leave space between them if possible.
- Air Fry at 400°F for 20 minutes. Then open the air fryer basket, flip the turkey legs and lightly spray with cooking oil. Baste the flipped side with the remaining seasoned butter. Close the Air Fryer basket and cook for 20 more minutes, check every ten minutes for doneness. (If the temperature reads 160°F this is okay as the temperature will increase while the turkey legs are resting)(Cooking time may vary depending on how big your turkey legs are and the air fryer you are using. Cook for ~30-40 minutes, or until the internal temperature of 165 is reached.)
- Let the turkey legs rest for 5 minutes. Enjoy!