Maca Hot Chocolate. Maca Root Powder is an energy, mood, memory, and metabolism-enhancing superfood packed with nutrients! It has a nutty flavor that pairs perfectly with nutrient-dense raw cacao powder to make this rich, decadent Maca Hot Chocolate! Now you can enjoy your favorite hot chocolate with a nourishing boost!
With the weather getting chillier and the sun going down a bit earlier each day, warm, cozy drinks are an absolute must! I LOVE a delicious cozy drink that’s indulgent and warms me from the inside out. It is even better when it tastes great AND provides essential nutrients!
You all know I am a superfood fanatic!! I love finding unique and flavorful ways to easily incorporate superfoods into our daily diet! Maca root is one of my favorite superfoods! I use it often in my smoothies. If you’re curious about how to use maca in a smoothie and want to learn about more superfoods, you can check out my 16 Healthy Superfood Smoothie Recipes post!
So, let’s talk about maca and how to make this tasty hot chocolate!
What is Maca?
Maca is a plant that grows in the Andes Mountains of Peru. It is also referred to as Peruvian ginseng. Maca root is typically ground into a powder and has a warm, nutty, earthy flavor. It has been used for centuries to help improve libido, fertility, and boost energy. It has numerous health benefits! Here are a few:
Maca Health Benefits
- Contains Iron, Potassium, and Calcium.
- Boost Energy and Endurance
- Contains Flavonoids That Help to Improve Mood And Reduce Anxiety And Depression
- Improves Fertility in men
- Improves Women’s Reproductive Function
- Reduces Symptoms of Menopause
- Helps Reduce Blood Pressure
- Improves Focus and Memory
How To Use Maca Powder?
You can add maca powder to your diet easily by adding it to juices, smoothies, warm drinks, porridge, cereals, oatmeal, and more!
Its nutty flavor tastes perfect with chocolate, and mixed with warm non-dairy milk will make the best healthy hot chocolate!
5-Ingredient Healthy Maca Hot Chocolate. Here’s What You’ll Need:
- Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk of Choice
- Raw Cacao Powder
- Maca Powder
- Maple Sryup
- Vanilla Extract
Cacao vs Cocoa
For this hot chocolate recipe, I like to use raw cacao powder, which is unprocessed chocolate made from raw cacao beans. Although cocoa powder comes from the same source, it loses most of its nutrients as it is heated and chemically processed during manufacturing. Of course, you can use cocoa powder if you choose, but I highly recommend using cacao powder.
Raw Cacao Powder is an amazing superfood with a ton of benefits!
- High in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, and anti-inflammatory properties
- Has the highest plant-based source of iron: 7.3mg per 100g
- Highest plant-based source for magnesium, which helps heart health
- May help to improve cholesterol and reduce blood pressure
- Contains Amino Acids such as Tryptophan, which helps our bodies produce serotonin and naturally helps to enhance relaxation and boost mood.
Now that you know all the incredible health benefits of this Maca Hot Chocolate, let’s go over how easy it is to make it at home!
How To Make Maca Hot Chocolate
You can make this healthy hot chocolate recipe in one simple step! Add all of the ingredients to a saucepan and whisk to thoroughly combine and remove any clumps. Heat the mixture over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. remove the mixture from the heat and pour it into your favorite mug. Enjoy!
This maca hot chocolate is absolutely delicious! It tastes just like your typical hot chocolate, except with this recipe you’re enjoying a vegan, gluten-free, naturally sweetened, healthy treat!
Optional Add-ins and Variations To Your Maca Hot Chocolate
- Mix in 1/4 tsp cinnamon for more warm, holiday flavor.
- Add 1-2 tbsp Sea Moss Gel for even more of a nutrient boost. (Learn about Sea Moss in this post)
- Top with Coconut Whipped Cream and Vegan Marshmallows for more of a treat!
I hope you enjoy this Maca Hot Chocolate Recipe!
If you try the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments below! Take pictures, tag #goodfoodbaddie, and share them with me on Instagram! I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchen.
More Delicious Nutrient-Dense Drink To Try
- Cold Fighting Apple Ginger Tea
- Chocolate Raspberry Sea Moss Smoothie
- 5-Minute Dairy-Free Iced Matcha Latte
- Golden Milk Latte (Turmeric Milk)
- Tropical Papaya Detox Smoothie
- 16 Healthy Superfood Smoothies to Jumpstart Your Day!
Healthy Maca Hot Chocolate
- 2.5 cups Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk of choice
- 3 tbsp Cacao Powder
- 1 tbsp Maca Powder
- 3 tbsp Maple Syrup or Date Syrup, plus more if desired
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1-2 tbsp Sea Moss Gel
- Add all of the ingredients to a saucepan (plus any optional add-ins) and whisk to thoroughly combine and remove any clumps.
- Heat the mixture over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. remove the mixture from the heat and pour it into your favorite mug. Enjoy!