Lamb Kofta is a delightful blend of ground lamb seasoned with herbs, garlic, onions, fresh parsley, cumin, and coriander. This super easy, healthy Mediterranean recipe will soon be your favorite!
Mediterranean cuisine is one of my favorites! I love the rich, dynamic flavors! Lately, I’ve been craving Mediterranean Food so I decided to get creative in the kitchen! I started by making Lamb Meatballs (Kofta) and ended up making an entire feast!
My craving was sparked when I went to the Farmer’s Market and picked up some ground lamb from my favorite meat purveyor, Buy Ranch Direct. They are a family-owned and operated California Ranch that provides high quality, 100% grass-fed, no hormones, no antibiotic, and humanely raised meat. I love that they always have an array of options and extremely polite and knowledgable staff to answer any questions. I shop there regularly and definitely notice the difference in the quality of meat I get from Buy Ranch Direct versus the grocery store –and their prices aren’t bad either! (FYI: They deliver as well! So definitely check them out if you’re interested in getting quality meat and supporting small businesses!)
So, that is where it started: the moment I decided to purchase ground lamb I already knew I was going to make delicious Mediterranean food!
Let’s get into this Lamb Meatballs (kofta) recipe!
What is Lamb Kofta
Lamb Kofta is made from ground lamb mixed with delicious aromatics, like garlic, onion, and parsley, and savory seasonings like cumin and coriander. Most people shape them into balls or shape them around a skewer and grill them, but you can also make them in the oven, which is my preferred method. They pair perfectly with pita bread, salad, and lots of tasty dips.
I made three dips to compliment my Lamb Kofta:
- Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus
- Baba Ganoush
- Roasted Red Pepper Almond Spread
That’s the things about Mediterranean Food, you cannot skip out on the dips and sauces! It’s just as important as the Lamb Kofta, the chicken kabob, the shawarma, the falafel, or whatever else you’re having.
How to season lamb Kofta
- Fresh Parsley (an absolute must)
- Fresh Mint
- Jalapeno (completely optional, I just love to give my food a hint of heat)
- Salt and Pepper
How to cook lamb kofta in the oven
The best and easiest way to make lamb kofta is in the oven. Simply form the seasoned lamb mixture into bite-sized balls and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes! I like to make mine in a cast iron, mostly because it’s more aesthetic when serving. However, you can also simply use a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
If you do not want to bake the lamb kofta, you can always cook them on a grill pan, or outdoor grill (at medium-high heat) for 6-8 minutes on each side.
Whatever method you choose, be sure to use an instant-read thermometer to check if your meat is finished. It should have an internal temperature of at least 160°F.
What to eat with lamb Kofta
I hope you enjoy this Lamb Kofta Recipe! If you make it, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments below! I love hearing from you!
Lamb Kofta (lamb meatballs)
- 1 lb Ground Lamb
- 4 tbsp Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh Mint, chopped
- 1 Jalapeno, finely minced (optional)
- 1/4 White Onion, chopped
- 6 Garlic Cloves
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Freshly Ground pepper
- 2 tsp Fresh Parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground lamb with the chopped herbs, garlic, and seasonings. Mix well to make sure the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a large cast-iron (preferably), or parchment-lined baking sheet. Using a small scoop, take about 2 tablespoons of the lamb mixture, using your hands form it into a ball, and place them onto the cast iron. You should have about 18-20 meatballs.
- Place the cast iron into the oven and bake the kofta for 15-20 minutes (or until they reach an internal temperature of 160°F), turning them half-way through to ensure even cooking.
- Remove from the oven. Top with Fresh Parsley and serve!