Why buy hummus from the grocery store when you can make ultra-creamy, delicious hummus at home in a matter of minutes! This easy step-by-step recipe will quickly become your favorite hummus recipe! Learn how to make Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus or Roasted Red Pepper Hummus like a pro! (Vegan + Gluten-Free!)
If you love hummus recipes, you’ll definitely want to try my Sweet Potato Hummus next!
So, what exactly is Hummus?
Traditional hummus is made from cooked and mashed chickpeas (garbanzo beans), however it can be made from other legumes such as black beans or navy beans. The beans are blended with tahini (ground sesame seeds), olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and occasionally other herbs and vegetables for an enhanced flavor. This popular spread is a Middle Eastern staple filled with protein and tons of nutrients, including calcium, potassium, zinc, iron, and vitamin C.
Hummus is usually served with pita bread, but tastes great with sliced veggies like cucumber, carrots, and red peppers. It also pairs well with meat, and is great for dipping grilled steak and chicken! Also, hummus is the perfect healthy alternative to mayo on sandwiches—it adds a dynamic flavor and taste WAY better than mayo!
How To make homemade hummus
The key to making great hummus is to take your time and blend the ingredients in steps.
- Blend the garlic and lemon together with a bit of salt. Doing this first will help reduce the pungency of the garlic, which means it is a bit more mellow and does not overpower the flavor of the hummus. (Pro Tip: I like to use roasted garlic for a deeper savory hummus flavor.)
- Then, add the tahini and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add any add-ins at this point and blend in with the tahini.
- Finally, add the chickpeas and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust the flavor, adding more lemon, salt, olive oil as desired.
The Secret To Making THe Best Hummus
I will share a secret with you that I learned from the chef at my favorite Mediterranean Restaurant. I told him of my hummus obsession and how I learned to make hummus at home from scratch. He asked me if I knew of the secret to making the hummus extra creamy. Of course I am not going to skip on hearing any chef secrets, so I eagerly said no! He shared that in order to have creamy hummus every time, you are to add 2-3 teaspoons of ice-cold water at the very end and blend for an additional minute.
Pro Tips to Making the best Homemade Hummus
- While it may be tempting, do not skip the step of blending the garlic, lemon, and salt together first. This helps to make the flavor of the garlic more subtle so it compliments the hummus, not overpower it.
- Along the same lines, follow each blending step and make sure to scrape down the sides and blend thoroughly before moving to the next steps. You’ll be happy you did when your hummus is smooth, creamy, and flavorful at the end.
- I’ve found that it is best to make hummus in a food processor. I’ve tried to use a blender but the consistency has not come out the same. Also, the blender has a slight dip at the bottom where ingredients tend to get caught and not mixed in properly. So, for the best results, use a food processor.
What To EaT With Hummus
You can enjoy your hummus with chips, pita bread, celery, carrots, cucumbers, and whatever else you can use for dipping!
Hummus is especially good when paired with chicken, beef or lamb.
Need Ideas for pairing? Check Out These:
Quick Video on How to make hummus
I hope you enjoy the Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus and Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Recipe!
If you try the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments below! Take pictures, tag #goodfoodbaddie, and share them with me on Instagram! I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchen.
How to Make Hummus
- Food Processor
- 1 Can of Chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 2-3 Lemons, juiced
- 2-3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 2 Cloves Garlic (Roasted Preferred)
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp Ice Cold Water
- 1/2 tsp Paprika for garnish
Additional Ingredients for Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 1 Roasted Red Pepper, Seeds removed
For the Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 2 Jalapeños
- 1/2 Lime
- First, put two cloves of garlic, 2 squeezed lemons, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt into the food processor and blend for 1 minute.
- Add the tahini and blend until it is a thick creamy texture, about 1 minute. Be sure to scrape down the sides and bottom so the tahini is properly blended.
- Add the Roasted Red Pepper and the Cumin and blend until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add Chickpeas and Blend for one minute. Continue to blend while drizzling in the Olive oil (for 1 minute).
- Taste the Hummus and make any adjustments. Add Salt and Lemon to taste. If you want the hummus to be a bit more creamy add 1-2 teaspoons of Ice Cold Water and blend for 30 more seconds
- Serving: 8
- Fat: 12.3 g
- Protein 4.6g
- Calories: 183