This content contains affiliate links, which helps goodfoodbaddie.com to provide free recipes and resources. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support of the blog!
Using just a few simple ingredients, you can make this delicious sweet potato hummus at home and have it as a snack, sandwich spread, topping for your salad, or whatever else you fancy! I enjoy my sweet potato hummus with some warm garlic-crusted pita bread — so good!
Sweet Potato Hummus is like traditional hummus 2.0!
The addition of roasted sweet potatoes gives the hummus a subtly sweet flavor and a rich savory taste! I like to add smoked paprika to make the flavor profile of this hummus even more complex!
If you’re looking for an easy hummus recipe, this is it! Making sweet potato hummus is easy and super quick to make. The longest part is roasting the sweet potatoes. You can always roast the sweet potatoes ahead of time and store them in the fridge until you are ready to make the hummus.
The key to making the best Homemade Sweet Potato Hummus is two-part:
Blend the ingredients in multiple steps to get the perfect creamy hummus.
- I blend the garlic, lemon, and salt first. This helps to reduce level out the potency of the garlic so that it does not overpower the hummus.
- Then, I blend the tahini until it becomes smooth and creamy.
- Then, you’ll add the chickpeas, sweet potatoes, and seasonings. You’ll slowly pour in the olive oil and allow the food processor to do its thing!
Add ice-cold water at the very end (or an ice cube) to make the hummus even smoother!
How to store your Sweet Potato Hummus
I hope you enjoy this Roasted Sweet Potato Hummus Recipe!
If you try the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments below! Take pictures, tag #goodfoodbaddie, and share them with me on Instagram! I love hearing from you!
Sweet Potato Hummus
- 1 Large Roasted Sweet Potato
- 1 Can of Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 Lemons, juiced
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1-2 tsp Ice Cold Water
- Sea Salt, to taste
Roast Sweet Potato
- If you need to roast your sweet potato, wrap it in foil and place it in a preheated oven at 450°F. Bake the sweet potato for 40-45 minutes, or until it is tender to touch.
- Remove the sweet potato from the oven and allow it to cool, at least 20 minutes. Remove the skin and use the
How to make roasted sweet potato hummus
- First, put two cloves of garlic, 2 squeezed lemons, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt into the food processor and blend for 1 minute.
- Add the tahini and blend until it is a thick creamy texture, about 1 minute. Be sure to scrape down the sides and bottom so the tahini is properly blended.
- Add the roasted sweet potato, cumin, smoked paprika, and chickpeas and blend. Continue to blend while drizzling in the olive oil. Blend for 2-3 minutes, or until smooth.
- Taste the Hummus and make any adjustments. Add Salt and Lemon to taste. If you want the hummus to be a bit more creamy add 1-2 teaspoons of Ice Cold Water and blend for 30 more seconds
- You can use leftover sweet potatoes to make this hummus or make the sweet potatoes up to three days in advance. Store the sweet potatoes in the fridge until you are ready to use them. (Make sure to remove the skin before adding to the hummus)
- Store any leftover hummus in an airtight container for up to 5 days