Loaded with Scramble Tofu “eggs”, hearty potato hash, spicy soyrizo, wilted baby spinach, and delicious cashew “mozzarella cheese”, this Vegan Breakfast Quesadilla is the perfect way to start your day!
These Vegan Breakfast Quesadilla are the truth! For me, these quesadillas are an indulgent treat that I feel absolutely no remorse about eating. And why should I?! They are:
- Packed with protein from the tofu and Soyrizo
- Filled with TONS of flavor from the tasty Southwest Tofu Scramble to the perfectly crispy potato hash
- AND SO EASY TO MAKE!
This is one of those dishes that simply take a few minutes to make each layer and then simply compile everything together into an amazing, simple meal.
This is also one of the rare meals that I make using mostly store-bought favorites. The potato hash, soyrizo, and Cashew Mozarella Cheese are from Trader Joe’s. (The cheese is a new store item and I’m loving it! It’s Vegan and Gluten-Free). I use Brown Rice Tortillas to keep this meal gluten-free. As always, if you do not have any food sensitivities you can use flour tortillas for the quesadilla and use real shredded cheese if you’d rather enjoy this quesadilla as a vegetarian meal.
How to make tofu scramble?
Making Tofu scramble is incredibly easy and only requires a few simple ingredients: Firm Tofu, Seasonings, Onions, and Peppers.
Tofu Scramble Seasonings
- Turmeric powder
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- Ground black pepper
- Ground cumin
- Chili powder
- Sea Salt
The turmeric is what gives the tofu scramble the yellow/orange color to resembles eggs. I love the flavor of turmeric so I use up to 2.5 teaspoons in this recipe, but if you are new to using turmeric start with 1 teaspoon (that is all that is needed to get the perfect “egg-like” color).
Also, do not be scared to season the tofu scramble.
Tofu is highly absorbent and takes on the flavors it is cooked with. The seasonings in this recipe give it a delicious, savory flavor. Cooked with chopped red onions, jalapeno peppers, and red pepper, you have the perfect southwest tofu scramble.
How to Create the perfect quesadilla
- Prepare the layers. I like to make the potato hash first, then the soyrizo, the tofu scramble, and lastly wilt the spinach.
- After all the layers are made, warm the tortilla in a skillet. Add cheese and start to add on bits of each layer. I like to start with the spinach, then hash, soyrizo, and top it with the tofu scramble.
- Fold the quesadilla until its warm all the way through and the cheese is nice and gooey.
- Transfer to a plate and cut into thirds.
This Vegan Breakfast Quesadilla pairs perfectly with some spicy salsa and sliced avocado. They are perfect for a tasty brunch with friends, or a tasty on-the-go breakfast. Prepare these ahead of time and warm them up in the oven when you’re ready to enjoy it!
Vegan Breakfast Quesadilla
- 4 Grain Free Tortillas
- 2 cup Potato Hash browns (linked below)
- 2 cups Fresh Baby Spinach
- 1 cup Shredded Vegan or Non-Vegan Cheese
- 1 package Soyrizo
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil, divided
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Southwest Egg Scramble
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Jalapenos, chopped
- 1-2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 14 ounce firm or extra firm Tofu, drained
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat and add 2 tbsp cooking oil. Prepare the hash browns according to the instruction on the bag. (Usually cooking on each side 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally). Once the hashbrowns are cooked, transfer the hashbrowns into a small bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet (wiped clean), prepare the Soyrizo. Saute it over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown (and a temperature of 165 is reached). Set aside in a medium-sized bowl. Wipe the skillet clean to prepare for the scramble
- Over medium-high heat, saute onions, jalapeno, and red pepper for 3 minutes. Crumble the tofu and add it the pan along, along with the turmeric, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and mix everything together. Cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the tofu scramble from the skillet and wipe it clean.
- In the skillet, over medium heat, cook the spinach for 2-3 minutes or until it begins to wilt. It should reduce to half the size.
- Now that all of the layers are prepared. Over medium-low heat add 1/2 tbsp of olive oil to the skillet. Add a tortilla and fill half of the side of tortilla with spinach, soyrizo, hashbrowns, tofu scramble, and Vegan Cheese. Fold over the remaining half of the tortilla to cover the toppings and press down slightly. If possible, carefully flip over the quesadilla and cook until the non-dairy cheese is melted or the tortilla is browned.
- Slice in half or thirds and serve with salsa. Enjoy!
- How to Make Easy Scrambled Tofu "eggs" | Recipe linked here
- Here is a great Brand of Hashbrowns if you don't have a Trader Joe's near you.
- You can usually find Soyrizo at your local grocery store, if not here is a great brand to try!
- Mission Brand has great Gluten-Free Tortillas that are perfect for this recipe!
- All the layers can be made beforehand (except the spinach) and reheated when you are ready to assemble your quesadilla.
- These quesadillas are perfect for meal prep! You can prepare them beforehand and store them in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days.