BBQ Jackfruit Tacos are a delightful plant-based twist on traditional pulled meat tacos. When shredded and sautéed just right, jackfruit is an excellent meat alternative. This recipe is gluten-free and vegan.
Jackfruit has a tender, meaty texture and takes on the flavor of the spices and sauces it is cooked with. So add our sweet and smoky homemade BBQ sauce and your favorite toppings for the best jackfruit tacos!
Reasons This BBQ Jackfruit Tacos Recipe Works
- Delicious Vegan Meal! Taco Tuesday just got a little tastier. Whether you’re vegan, vegetarian, or just want a meatless meal, BBQ jackfruit has the flavor and taste of shredded barbecue meat.
- Quick & Easy! Need a meal in 30 minutes or less? From start to finish, this recipe takes just 20 minutes. With simple instructions, dinner is ready in record time!
- Customizable! Just like regular tacos, feel free to switch up these jackfruit tacos with different toppings and additional sauces.
What is Jackfruit?
Jackfruit is a tropical fruit that originated in southwest India and is now grown in other parts of Asia and Africa! Jackfruit is a large yellow-green fruit that has become quite popular for its versatility and ability to be transformed into a meat substitute because of its interesting texture when cooked. It is also packed with tons of nutrients and antioxidants!
What does Jackfruit taste like?
When jackfruit is ripe, it has a sweet taste, similar to mango, pineapple, or banana. But unripe jackfruit is perfect for cooking because it has a neutral flavor. For this recipe, you will want to use green, unripe jackfruit, which you can usually find in cans in the grocery store.
Where can I buy jackfruit?
You can start to find jackfruit in the produce section in grocery stores now that it is spring. Jackfruit are large, yellow-green fruits with a bumpy exterior. However, this is not the jackfruit that you’ll want to buy for this recipe. You’ll need canned, green jackfruit for this recipe.
You can also buy frozen jackfruit, but I’ve found that the outcome is not quite the same as canned jackfruit.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Young Green Jackfruit: Young jackfruit is the taco filling.
- Spices: I make my own taco seasoning, using a smoky, spicy, flavorful medley of smoked paprika, chili powder, dried oregano, red crushed pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Homemade Barbecue Sauce: or your favorite barbecue sauce
- Vegetable Broth: This tenderizes the jackfruit.
- Cooking Oil: For sautéeing.
- Aromatics: Sauté onion and garlic for some base flavor.
- Tortillas: To keep this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free soft flour tortillas or corn tortillas.
How To Make BBQ Jackfruit Tacos
CLEAN, SHRED AND SEASON JACKFRUT. Rinse the jackfruit and add it to a large bowl. Then, shred it so it resembles pulled meat (like pork or chicken). You can use two forks or simply use your hands. Season the jackfruit with the spices and barbecue sauce.
COOK BBQ JACKFRUIT. In a large skillet, sauté onion and garlic until golden. Add the seasoned jackfruit to the skillet and pour in the vegetable broth. Mix the ingredients and then cover the pan for 5 minutes on medium-low heat.
After the vegetable broth has been absorbed by the jackfruit, turn up the heat to medium-high and sauté the jackfruit for 3-5 minutes, until slightly browned on the outside. Remove the jackfruit from the heat. Assemble your tacos and enjoy!
Storage + Reheating
Store leftover BBQ jackfruit in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat, use a microwave or set the oven to 350°F and set the jackfruit on a parchment-lined baking sheet for about 10 minutes.
Tips To Nail the Recipe
- Do not use fresh jackfruit. For this recipe, you need canned jackfruit.
- Use jackfruit canned in brine or water. But avoid jackfruit canned in syrup because the flavor will alter the taste of this recipe.
- The trick to making tender flavorful jackfruit is to pour a small amount of vegetable broth into the pan with the jackfruit and cover it for 5 minutes to tenderize and cook the jackfruit. Then, turn the heat up a bit and saute the jackfruit so that it gets nice and browned, sealing in all the flavor.
What to Serve with BBQ Jackfruit Tacos
Make them with our homemade vegan barbecue sauce and top them with avocado crema for the best tacos ever! Pair your tacos with Cilantro Lime Rice and Cantaloupe Agua Fresca, and enjoy a delightful feast!
Toppings for your vegan jackfruit tacos:
Toppings on your tacos are essential! Load your tacos with as many toppings as you like. Here are a few great options:
- Sliced Radish
- Sliced Jalapenos
- Pickled Vegetables
- Chopped Cilantro
- Vegan Coleslaw
- Black Beans
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Pico De Gallo
- Avocado Crema
Can you make jackfruit taste like meat?
Jackfruit on its own does not taste like meat, but with the help of savory aromatics like garlic and onion and a few seasonings, it can very well taste like meat! Jackfruit absorbs the flavor of whatever it is cooked with. This, and its uncanny resemblance to pulled pork when jackfruit is shredded, makes it perfect as a vegetarian meat replacement.
How do you eat shredded jackfruit?
Season and saute jackfruit and use it to make tacos or sandwiches. You can also add it to salads or rice bowls.
Is canned jackfruit raw or cooked?
Canned jackfruit is precooked so you can eat it straight out of the can. However, it tastes better when seasoned and warmed up.
I Hope You Enjoy This BBQ Jackfruit Tacos Recipe!
If you try the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments. Leave a quick review & star rating ★ below! Take pictures, tag #goodfoodbaddie, and share them with me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest! I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchen.
More Flavorful Vegan Dishes To Try!
- Vegan Caesar Salad
- Vegan Chipotle Cashew Cream | Gluten-Free!
- Best Baked Orange Cauliflower Wings
- The Best Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- Ginger Garlic Bok Choy Soup
Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Tacos
- 2 20-ounce cans young green jackfruit
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Red Crushed Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1 cup Homemade Barbecue Sauce or your favorite barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Broth
- 1-2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- First, prepare the jackfruit by pouring it into a strainer and thoroughly rinsing to remove any debris, salt, or liquid remains
- Transfer the jackfruit into a large bowl. Then, using a knife or your hands, pull apart (or slice) the jackfruit into thin pieces. (Do not discard the core or seeds)
- Season the jackfruit with the seasonings listed above and add the barbecue sauce. Mix well to ensure all the jackfruit is evenly coated.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1-2 tablespoons of oil of choice. Then, add the chopped garlic and onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until golden.
- Add the seasoned jackfruit to the pan and then pour in the vegetable broth. Mix the ingredients and then cover the pan for 5 minutes on medium-low heat.
- After the vegetable broth has been absorbed by the jackfruit, turn up the heat to medium-high and sauté the jackfruit for 3-5 minutes, until slightly browned on the outside.
- Place generous portions of the pulled bbq jackfruit onto your prepared tortilla. Add toppings of your choice and Enjoy!