Homemade Barbecue Sauce. Make your own bbq sauce from scratch in less than 20 minutes with this easy recipe! This barbecue sauce is tangy, sweet, smoky, and finger-licking good! It’s the perfect barbecue sauce for ribs, pulled pork, chicken, marinades, and more! (The recipe is gluten-free and vegan!)This barbecue sauce is super versatile and can be used to make many dishes! Use it to make Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Wings, Instant Pot BBQ Ribs, or even Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Tacos! The possibilities are endless!
This content contains affiliate links, which help goodfoodbaddie.com to provide free recipes and resources. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support of the blog!
Making Homemade Barbecue Sauce Is Super Easy!Sure, store-bought barbecue sauce is alright, and 3-ingredient barbecue sauce sounds good, but is it?!? I know many people make their barbecue sauce with ketchup, but that’s not what we do over here! You know why?! Because I like to know EXACTLY what goes into my homemade sauce —no extra additives and preservatives from prepackaged ingredients. This barbecue sauce is thick, tangy, smoky, sweet, and MADE COMPLETELY FROM SCRATCH! Yes, I repeat: This is a homemade barbecue sauce without ketchup! (And you’ll be so happy about that once you taste this mouthwatering bbq sauce).
BEST HOMEMADE BARBECUE SAUCE
Why You’ll Love This Barbecue Sauce Recipe:
- It takes less than 20 minutes to make
- It’s made with 7 simple ingredients and a few spices
- It’s Gluten-Free and Vegan!
- Can be used in any recipe that calls for premade bbq sauce
- It’s so good you’ll be licking the spoon!
Homemade BBQ Sauce Ingredients
- Tomato Sauce + Tomato Paste: The base of any good barbecue sauce is tomato sauce. Be sure to use canned plain tomato sauce, which is just pureed tomatoes with no extra ingredients.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: The key to making the best barbecue sauce is adding just the right amount of vinegar to provide a tangy, rich flavor. I Use Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- Maple Syrup or Molasses: This helps to both sweeten and thicken the barbecue sauce.
- Brown Sugar: The brown sugar gives the bbq sauce a warm sweet flavor and helps mellow the tartness from the tomato sauce.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Gives the sauce a savory depth. To keep this barbecue sauce recipe vegan, use a vegan Worcestershire Sauce like Annie’s Homegrown Organic & Vegan | Amazon Worcestershire Sauce | Amazon. Here is a Gluten-Free Option: Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce| Amazon (You can also use coconut aminos instead, which is both gluten-free and vegan.)
- Hickory Liquid Smoke: To give the barbecue sauce the customary smoky flavor. I use Stubbs Hickory Liquid Smoke | Amazon.
- Spices: The spices enhance the flavor of the bbq sauce and allow you to customize the flavor to your liking. If you would like your bbq sauce spicy, add cayenne pepper and red crushed pepper flakes.
How Do You Make Your Own Barbecue Sauce?Making your own barbecue sauce from scratch is actually super simple! You combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer over medium-low heat until it thickens. Adjust the taste to your liking and enjoy!
Favorite Ways To Use BBQ Sauce
- Traditional BBQ Meat: Use on ribs, pork, chicken, brisket, burnt end, etc.
- Pulled Pork or Jackfruit: This homemade barbecue sauce recipe is vegan and is perfect if you want to make pulled jackfruit tacos for meatless Monday.
- Chicken: Use this barbecue sauce to make BBQ Chicken. Or as a spread on your crispy chicken breast.
- Burgers: Barbecue sauce on a perfectly cooked burger is the best, especially these spicy Habanero Bison Burgers!
- Meatballs: Coat your baked meatballs in this glorious barbecue sauce to take them up a notch!
- Dipping Sauce: Use as a dip for crispy fries, like these Accordion Potato Fries (TikTok Craze) and Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries.
The best part about this barbecue sauce recipe is that you can use it for any recipe that requires premade barbecue sauce! (like my Instant Pot Barbecue Ribs Recipe!)
I used my Homemade Barbecue Sauce For Ribs!
How Do You Store Homemade BBQ Sauce?Allow the BBQ sauce to cool. Then, pour it into a mason jar and seal it with a tight-fitting lid. Store your bbq sauce in the refrigerator for up to ten days.
How Long Does Homemade Barbecue Sauce Last?This homemade barbecue sauce lasts in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
Can You Freeze Homemade Barbecue Sauce?Yes, you sure can! Transfer the bbq sauce to an airtight mason jar. Once it has cooled, seal the jar and place it in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you are ready to use the barbecue sauce, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator first.
I hope you enjoy this Homemade Barbecue Sauce Recipe!
If you try the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments below! Take pictures, tag #goodfoodbaddie, and share them with me on Instagram! I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchen.
More Homemade Sauces To Try!
- Vegan Ranch Dressing | Gluten-Free
- Avocado Crema | Delicious 5-minute Recipe
- Dairy-Free Tzatziki Sauce (Vegan + Whole30)
- Vegan Cashew Cream Sauce
Homemade Barbecue Sauce
- 2 cups Organic Tomato Sauce
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 2 tsp Hickory Liquid Smoke
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup or Molasses
- 2/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Chipotle Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- Combine the ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer over medium-low heat until it thickens, about 15-20 minutes. Be sure to stir occasionally.
- Adjust the taste to your liking. Use immediately, or refrigerate in an airtight mason jar for up to 10 days.
To Make Vegan:
- To keep this barbecue sauce recipe vegan, use a vegan Worcestershire Sauce like Annie’s Homegrown Organic & Vegan | Amazon Worcestershire Sauce | Amazon.
To Make Gluten-Free:
- Use Gluten-Free Worchestershire Sauce, like this Option: Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce| Amazon
- Use Gluten-free liquid smoke, like this option Stubbs Hickory Liquid Smoke | Amazon.