Amp up your typical morning coffee routine with this delicious protein-packed coffee smoothie! Grab a blender, your favorite cold brew, and a few ingredients. In less than 5 minutes you’ll have an energizing, nourishing drink filled with protein, omega-3s, fiber, and essential vitamins! It’s the perfect drink to start your morning or enjoy as a post-workout drink. (This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan!)
This coffee smoothie is rich and creamy, and ups the health ante. It has a fraction of the added sugar and saturated fat of a mixed coffee drink you’d order at a coffee shop. It’s a fun and tasty way to get your caffeine in AND added nutrients!
This is my go-to for a quick, nourishing energy drink in the morning. It is SO easy to just throw the ingredients in the blender, blend for a minute, and pour it into my handy to-go cup. It’s perfect for those mornings when I am short on time, and need something quick to wake me up and simultaneously fill me up.
You’ll Love This Coffee Smoothie! It’s:
- The Perfect Flavor Combination: Creamy Banana, Rich Cacao, Nutty Almond Butter, and Smooth Cold Brew create a spectacular blend —think mocha smoothie!
- Nutrient Dense: Between the hemp seeds, cacao powder, Medjool dates, and banana you have a supercharged potassium and antioxidant-rich, fiber-packed drink filled with healthy fats and essential fatty acids.
- Filling: With the addition of protein powder and nut butter, this smoothie can serve as a filling meal replacement or post-workout meal. You can even add oats to make it even more filling!
- Vegan and Gluten-Free: All the ingredients are naturally gluten-free and vegan, except the protein powder. If you are using protein powder, make sure to use one that is both vegan and gluten-free, or fits your dietary needs.
- An Easy Coffee Smoothie Recipe: Nothing complicated, just a few ingredients that you’ll blend to make the perfect drink.
Here’s What You’ll Need
- Cold Brew: You can also use strong brewed coffee. Just be sure to cool it completely before using it, otherwise, you will not end up with a smoothie.
- Non-Dairy Milk: Use your favorite non-dairy milk. Almond milk and oat milk work well. If you’d like to make your own oat milk from scratch, try our 5-minute Homemade Oat Milk Recipe.
- Frozen Banana: This helps to make the smoothie extra creamy. Be sure to peel, cut, and freeze your banana at least the night before for the best results.
- Super-Seed Mix: A mix of hemp seeds, flax seeds, and chia seeds gives the drink a boost of healthy fats, fiber, and minerals. Use one of these or a blend of each of these —that’s what we like to do!
- Almond Butter: This adds more healthy fats and makes the smoothie creamier. Feel free to use any nut butter you prefer, like peanut butter or cashew butter. Sunflower Seed Butter would also work well and make this smoothie nut-free!
- Cacao Powder: It’s an incredible superfood loaded with antioxidants! It pairs perfectly with the coffee and gives the smoothie a subtle chocolate flavor. (If you do not have cacao powder, you can use cocoa powder, although it does not offer the same nutritional benefits.)
- Medjool Dates: considered nature’s candy, this natural sweetener is packed with fiber and potassium. They have a slightly caramel-like flavor that tastes wonderful in the smoothie.
- Vanilla Extract: Just a tad is needed to enhance the drink
- Protein Powder or Collagen Peptides: Adding this is completely optional. If you would like to add protein powder or collagen peptides, make sure it is vegan and gluten-free, if necessary. We use Orgain Organic Protein Power, it’s vegan and gluten-free.
Best Coffee For Smoothies:
- Cold Brew Concentrate: Cold brew is essentially coarsely ground coffee beans that have been steeped in cold water for hours. It’s made with more coffee grounds and less water, which means it is very strong. While it is strong, it is also very smooth, which makes it the perfect addition to smoothies.
- Espresso Shots: If you have an espresso machine at home, you can use espresso to make your coffee smoothie. Just be sure to let the espresso cool completely prior to making the smoothie.
- Brewed Coffee: Make sure to use a strong coffee and allow it to cool completely before using.
How To Make A Coffee Smoothie
- Add the ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into your favorite glass. Enjoy immediately.
Variations and Customizations
- For A Coffee Smoothie Without Banana: Use frozen coconut cream or frozen ripe avocado slices
- Want A More Filling Smoothie? Add Oats: Add a third of a cup of rolled oats to your smoothie. Not only does it make it more filling, but it will thicken the smoothie too!
- Need your smoothie more or less sweet? No Problem: Adjust the level of sweetness to your liking by adding or removing Medjool Dates. You can also use pure maple syrup, honey, or agave as a sweetener instead.
- Customize the flavor: Use peanut butter instead of almond butter. Or you can add warm spices like cinnamon, cardamom, or ginger (just a pinch!).
- Want The Coffee Flavor Without The Coffee: Swap your strong coffee for delicious decaf coffee. The flavor will be just as good!
I hope you enjoy this Coffee Smoothie recipe!
If you try the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments below! Take pictures, tag #goodfoodbaddie, and share them with me on Instagram and Pinterest! I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchen.
More Smoothie Recipes To Try!
- High-Protein Chocolate Zucchini Smoothie
- Post Workout Smoothie
- Sea Moss Smoothie
- Tropical Guava Smoothie Recipe
- Spirulina Smoothie | (11g of Plant-based Protein!)
- Soursop Smoothie Recipe
- Chocolate Raspberry Sea Moss Smoothie
Best Coffee Smoothie
- 1/2 cup Non-Dairy Milk of choice
- 2/3 cup Cold Brew (or strong brewed coffee, chilled)
- 1 Ripe Frozen Banana, cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp Hemp Seeds or a mix of flax seeds, chia seeds, and hemp seeds (1 tsp each)
- 2 tsp Cacao Powder
- 2 Large Medjool Dates, pits removed can sub with pure maple syrup (2 tsp maple syrup or more to taste)
- 1 tbsp Almond Butter or any seed or nut butter (peanut butter, cashew butter, or sunflower seed butter)
- 1 Serving of Protein Powder or Collagen Peptides optional
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Add all the ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth, about 30-60 seconds. Adjust the consistency as desired by adding more non-dairy milk to thin the smoothie or more frozen banana to thicken the smoothie.
- Serve Immediately. Enjoy!
For Best Results:
- Peel, cut, and freeze the banana prior to making the smoothie.
- Make sure the coffee used is cold. Do not use hot coffee as it will not result in a smoothie when blended.
- The smoothie is delicious as is, but it is also easily customizable. Customize the recipe to suit your liking. There are variations and customizations listed in the post.
- You can easily double or triple the recipe to make more servings.