Honey Citrus Mint Tea, also known as the Starbucks Medicine Ball, is a sweet, soothing blend of peach and green mint tea with lemon and honey. It’s perfect for days when you’re under the weather or just want something warm and delicious to sip. There are two different ways to make this popular Starbucks drink at home!
The Starbucks Medicine Ball was a customer-created drink that became popular as a secret menu item. It has also been referred to as Mint Tea, The Cold Buster, The Flu Buster, Medicine Bomb, and Sick Tea. Today, the drink is on the Starbucks official menu as the Honey Citrus Mint Tea!
If you have the sniffles, this drink is the remedy! This warm and cozy tea beverage has been touted as a way to alleviate common ailments during the winter. While the original drink has its benefits, I have developed a healthier method that makes it even more nourishing! If you want a tea to knock your cold out, try our Cold-Fighting Apple Ginger Tea or even our Hibiscus Ginger Tea packed with vitamin C!
For a delicious warm drink, try method one. For a healthier alternative, try method two. The healthier version is suitable if you aren’t feeling well and need a pick-me-up. Grab your favorite mug and let’s get started!
You’ll Love This Honey Citrus Mint Recipe! It’s:
- Affordable: Those occasional Starbucks runs can add up. Save money by becoming your own barista!
- Delicious: This drink has a unique, balanced flavor of peach, citrus, green tea, and mint.
- Healthier: This tea is a great way to alleviate cold and flu symptoms. With ingredients like honey and green tea, you are on your way to feeling better!
- Versatile: You can stick to the original Starbucks recipe made with Teavana tea, or make this drink your own by swapping it with your preferred tea brands or loose-leaf tea. The same goes for the lemonade or lemon juice, the amount of mint used, and even the kind of honey. The options are endless!
Ingredients You Will Need
- Water: The base of the drink is a mixture of hot water and lemonade. If you use fresh lemon, add about ½ cup more water to the recipe.
- Organic Lemonade or Freshly Squeezed Lemon: Lemons are great when you’re sick. You get a boost of vitamin C that can help alleviate a cold.
- Teavana Jade Citrus Mint Tea Sachet or Mint Green Tea Bag of choice: The aroma can help with congestion from a stuffy nose. Green tea also contains antioxidants that are known to prevent certain types of cancers.
- Teavana Peach Tranquility Tea Sachet or Peach Tea Bag of choice: This fruity, fragrant tea adds a fresh flavor to this warm tea drink.
- Peppermint extract: A little goes a long way! You only need a drop or two of peppermint extract to give the drink extra flavor!
- Honey: This natural sweetener is better for blood sugar levels than regular sugar. It’s also a natural immune system booster that’s packed with nutrients. Use locally sourced honey to help with allergies. To make this drink vegan, use agave syrup.
- Garnish: Add a slice of lemon and a sprig of fresh mint leaves.
How to Make Honey Citrus Mint Tea at Home
If you were wondering what is in Starbucks honey mint citrus tea, this first method is the exact recipe! It includes a mix of lemonade and water, with Teavana’s Green Mint Tea and Peach Tranquility Tea. Then, it is finished with honey and a bit of peppermint.
Teavana tastes great but is not the healthiest option. The lemonade is also full of sugar. The drink is delicious but sugary and not necessarily the best for you when you are sick. For a more nourishing option, try method two.
This method is a bit healthier for a true “Medicine Ball” effect. This uses peach herbal tea bags and green mint tea. Instead of using lemonade, juice one lemon and add it to the water. If you opt for this method, you’ll need to use ½ cup more water to make up for the lemonade. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then add the tea bags. Sweeten with honey and add a couple of drops of peppermint extract. Enjoy
Is honey citrus mint tea the same as Medicine Ball?
Yes! Starbucks’ Medicine Ball tea and honey citrus mint tea are the same drink, just with different names. Starbucks baristas will make the same drink regardless of what you call it.
Is honey citrus mint tea good for sore throat?
With the addition of honey, this tea is a great way to soothe a sore throat. Honey has antibacterial properties that can relieve pain and inflammation.
Does the honey citrus mint tea have caffeine in it?
Yes. Teavana Jade Citrus Mint tea is a green tea. Green tea does contain caffeine so if that’s a concern, opt for an herbal caffeine-free tea instead.
Can I make iced honey citrus mint tea?
Yes! You can certainly enjoy this beverage cold, as an iced tea. Simply, let the tea cool at room temperature, then, add ice cubes and enjoy!
I Hope You Enjoy This Honey Citrus Mint Tea Recipe (aka Copycat Starbucks Medicine Ball)!
If you try the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments. Leave a quick review & star rating ★ below! Take pictures, tag #goodfoodbaddie, and share them with me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest! I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchen.
More Flu Season Remedies:
- Cold-fighting Apple Ginger Tea
- Homemade Fire Cider Recipe
- Immunity-Boosting Carrot Lentil Soup
- Elderberry Ginger Sea Moss Gel
- Elderberry Ginger Sea Moss Gummies
- Savory White Bean Kale Soup
- Homemade Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
Honey Citrus Mint Tea (2 Ways!)
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Organic lemonade or 3 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Teavana Jade Citrus Mint tea sachet or green mint tea bag
- 1 Teavana Peach Tranquility tea sachet or peach tea bag
- 1-2 drops of Peppermint extract (about 1/8 tsp)
- 1 tbsp Honey or to taste
- ½ Lemon sliced
- 1 Sprig of fresh mint leaves
- Add water, lemonade (or fresh squeezed lemon juice), and a slice of lemon to a pot to simmer.
- Once hot, add the tea bags and let steep for 5 minutes, or to desired strength.
- Pour the tea into a mug. Stir in honey and peppermint extract. Garnish with mint leaves and a fresh lemon wedge. Enjoy!
- If using fresh squeezed lemon juice, add about ½ cup more water.
- Can sub honey with agave syrup for vegan option