Honey lemon pepper wings are crispy oven-baked chicken wings glazed with a sweet, peppery sauce with a citrus kick. Make this recipe in the oven or air fryer and enjoy them as a delicious appetizer, snack, or entree. (This recipe is naturally gluten-free.)
The first time I had Honey Lemon Pepper Wings was in a super popular restaurant in Houston — I was instantly smitten and knew I had to recreate them at home! The flavor is superb! Imagine crispy, flavorful lemon pepper wings, covered in a sticky honey sauce. It is DELISH.
You’ll take your oven-baked chicken wings from good to great when you try this honey lemon pepper wings recipe. They’re so easy to make! Simply bake chicken drums and flats until they’re crisp, with a juicy, tender center. Then, glaze them with an addictive honey lemon pepper sauce. You’ll be licking your plate long after the crumbs are gone!
Reasons This Honey Lemon Pepper Wings Recipe Works
- Better Than Wingstop! Skip the fast food and opt for homemade lemon pepper wings instead. You save money and get to customize them to your liking for the best honey lemon pepper wings.
- Perfect for Parties! Everyone loves chicken wings so serve them on a platter for gatherings like Super Bowl parties, holidays, and potlucks.
- Packed With Flavor! Season and bake wings to crispy perfection and then toss them in a mouthwatering sauce that’s tangy, spicy, and sweet. It’s truly a treat for your taste buds!
- A Healthier Option! This recipe has the crunch of fried chicken without the oil, added calories, or mess.
Ingredients You’ll Need
To Make Crispy Baked Wings
- Chicken Wings: Use drums and flats (defrost if frozen).
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning: You can use your favorite brand or make your own lemon pepper seasoning. To make your own seasoning blend, use 1 tablespoon of lemon zest, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Paprika: Paprika is both sweet and peppery so it enhances the other flavors.
- Garlic Powder: This adds a savory, garlic flavor to the honey lemon pepper wings.
- Sea Salt: Add to taste.
- Freshly Ground Pepper: Freshly cracked black pepper has a stronger taste than regular pepper. You definitely want that extra kick for lemon pepper chicken wings.
- Baking Powder: This is the key to super crispy skin. Do not confuse this with baking soda.
To Make The Honey Lemon Pepper Sauce
- Butter: Using melted butter as the base of this sauce ensures the sauce spreads well and gets into the nooks and crannies of each chicken wing. Plus, who doesn’t love butter?
- Honey: This thickens the sauce, and adds a sweet sticky quality.
- Fresh Lemon: Use lemon juice and lemon zest for a double dose of bright, citrusy flavor.
- Lemon pepper seasoning: Amp up the lemon pepper flavor in the wings by doubling up and adding it to the sauce.
- Red crushed pepper: This is an optional ingredient that adds some heat if you prefer hot honey lemon pepper wings. Or you can just use Hot Honey instead of regular honey!
How to Make Honey Lemon Pepper Wings
- PREHEAT & SEASON. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Season the wings with the seasonings and baking powder.
- BAKE. Place the seasoned wings on an oven-safe wire rack in a single layer. Bake for 40 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- ADD SAUCE. Then toss the wings in the honey lemon pepper sauce and bake for another 10 minutes, or until the wings are fully cooked and reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
- TOSS AGAIN & SERVE. Toss the wings in more honey lemon pepper sauce and enjoy!
How to Air Fry Honey Lemon Pepper Wings
Cook at 380°F for 10 minutes. Then, flip the chicken and cook for another 7-10 minutes, until no longer pink and an instant thermometer reads 165°F.
Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to work in batches so that the wings are not overcrowded. Then, drench in sauce and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes. Check out my Air Fryer Buffalo Wings Recipe for more details and tips on making saucy wings in the air fryer!
Tips To Nail the Recipe
- Add salt to taste. Most store-bought lemon pepper seasonings already include salt so be mindful.
- Pat dry any excess moisture from the chicken before adding seasoning. This ensures a crispy chicken skin.
- Bake the wings on a wire rack for crispier skin. If the wings are resting above the surface of the sheet pan, the oil drips to the bottom so the chicken isn’t soggy.
- Do not add the sauce to the wings until the last 10 minutes of baking. Otherwise, the wings will burn in the oven.
- The chicken wings are done when they cook to an internal temperature of 165°F.
What to Serve With Honey Lemon Pepper Wings
- Dipping Sauce: Try our Vegan Ranch Dressing for a cool, creamy, tangy accompaniment to your wings.
- Potatoes: Whether you like roasted potatoes or french fries, we have you covered with Easy Air Fryer Potatoes, Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries, or Crispy Cottage Fries.
- Salad: Keep it light and serve chicken wings with a salad like this Vegan Caesar Salad.
- Veggies: For a low-carb meal, serve the wings with some air-fried veggies like our Air Fryer Broccoli, Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts, and Air Fryer Asparagus.
- Hot Honey Lemon Pepper Wings: Add a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce to the sauce mix for spicy wings. You could also use Hot Honey instead of hot sauce.
- Chicken: You can use chicken legs, chicken breasts, or chicken thighs for this recipe. Just know that cooking times will vary based on the cut of chicken you use.
Store leftover wings in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat them in the air fryer at 350°F for about 5 minutes.
Are lemon pepper wings an Atlanta thing?
Although lemon pepper wings originated in Miami, Florida, this dish has been adapted by Atlanta. It’s become a staple in clubs and wing spots across the city.
Why are lemon pepper wings popular?
Lemon pepper wings have grown in popularity over the last few years due to it’s reference in the television series, Atlanta. It went from a local favorite to a trending recipe across social media.
What is honey lemon pepper sauce made of?
Make honey lemon pepper sauce with melted butter, honey, lemon, lemon pepper seasoning, and red pepper flakes.
What is lemon pepper wet?
Lemon pepper wet references cooked lemon pepper wings coated with hot sauce or melted butter.
I Hope You Enjoy This Honey Lemon Pepper Wings Recipe!
If you try the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments. Leave a quick review & star rating ★ below! Take pictures, tag #goodfoodbaddie, and share them with me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest! I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchen.
More Wing Recipes To Try!
- Best Baked Turkey Wings
- Gluten-Free Chicken Wings
- Crispy Air Fryer Fried Chicken Wings
- Baked Orange Cauliflower Wings
- Buffalo Old Bay Wings
- Lemon Herb Chicken Wings
Honey Lemon Pepper Wings
To Make Crispy Baked Wings
- 2.5 lbs Chicken Wings drums and flats (defrosted if frozen)
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Pepper Seasonings
- 2 teaspoons Paprika
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- Sea Salt taste
- Freshly Ground Pepper or to taste
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder not baking soda
To Make The Honey Lemon Pepper Sauce
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ⅓ cup honey
- Zest from one lemon
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon Lemon pepper seasoning
- ½ teaspoon red crushed pepper optional
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Season the wings with the seasonings and baking powder.
- Place the seasoned wings on an oven-safe wire rack in a single layer. Bake for 40 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the honey lemon pepper sauce.
- Then, toss the wings in the honey lemon pepper sauce and bake for another 10 minutes, or until the wings are fully cooked and reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Toss the wings in more honey lemon pepper sauce and enjoy!