Tender, flavorful chicken wings drenched in lemony, herbaceous sauce making each bite so sensational, it’ll leave you wanting more and more! These lemon herb chicken wings are a wonderful family dish made with all real ingredients!
If you love flavorful chicken dishes, you’ll definitely want to check out my Buttermilk Roasted Chicken, Herb-Crusted Spatchcock Chicken, or Lemon Yogurt Chicken next!
This Lemon Herb Chicken Wings recipe is one I’ve made for numerous occasions, mostly by request. Today I will share all the tips and tricks you’ll need to make the perfect herbaceous wings every time. The beauty of this recipe is that you can bake these wings or grill them, both ways are perfect!
How To MakeThe Best Lemon Herb Chicken Wings
1. Gather your Fresh Herbs
The first key for the best results is to use as many fresh herbs as possible. My favorites to use are Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme.
2. Don’t Skimp On the Seasonings.
Seasonings are essential to enhance the flavors of this dish. I use Paprika, Cumin, Chili Powder, and Dried Oregano.
3. Make The Lemon Herb Marinade
Make your marinade from scratch using the ingredients I’ve listed. No need to buy a store brought marinade when you can make a high-quality, preservative-free, flavorful marinade at home. Instead of seasoning the chicken with herbs and spices, add everything to a small bowl of olive oil and juice of a few lemons.
4. Prepare The Chicken
Rinse the chicken and pat it dry with a paper towel or clean cloth. remove any feathers or excess fat. (Be sure to wash your hands and workspace after)
The most important tip! Make sure to use high-quality chicken. I like to buy my meat from Butcher Box. Their cattle are pasture-raised, grass-fed and finished, and never injected with hormones, antibiotics, or steroids! What I love most about Butcher Box is its dedication to providing high-quality, humanely raised meat while treating the animals and the planet with respect!
Check Out Butcher Box Here and get the exclusive GFB Discount
5. Marinate The Chicken
Now that you have your chicken and this delicious marinade ready, the next step is to transfer the chicken to a large bowl and all the wings are evenly coated in the marinade.
If you have some extra time, make this dish ahead of time for the best results. Marinade the chicken for at least 2 hours before cooking to allow the flavors to seep through the chicken.
Baking The Lemon Herb Chicen WIngs
When you are ready to cook the wings you’ll simply transfer them into a large oven-safe dish and cover with aluminum foil. Roast the chicken in a preheated oven at 400°F for 35-40 minutes.
After the initial roasting, you will notice that the chicken produces a lot of liquid. Carefully remove the liquid, then flip the chicken to the other side. Roast for an additional 15 minutes uncovered to produce a nice crispy crust.
Tips To Make The Best Baked Lemon Herb Chicken Wings
- Bake the chicken covered. Make sure the temperature is not too high, 400°F is just right.
- I personally think a slow roast for at the bare minimum of 35 minutes makes the best chicken that falls off the wings. I usually bake my chicken for an hour, placing it in the oven, setting the timer, and just letting the oven do its thing.
- Once the chicken is done its initial roasting, uncover the chicken and carefully remove any excess liquid that has accumulated. Flip the wings to the other side, then transfer the chicken back into the oven for an additional 15 minutes so that it develops a golden crispy skin.
What to Eat With Lemon Herb Chicken Wings
My favorite side dish to have with these incredible chicken wings is mashed potatoes! I love serving the chicken wings with the mashed potatoes and pouring the lemon herb juices from the dish onto the potatoes! OH SO GOOD!
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Accordion Potatoes
- 4-Cheese Mac and Cheese
- Cheddar Jalapeno Biscuits
- Maple Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Instant Pot Parsnip Mash
I hope you enjoy this Baked Lemon Herb Chicken Wing Recipe!
If you try the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments below! Take pictures, tag #goodfoodbaddie, and share them with me on Instagram! I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchen.
More Chicken Recipes To Try!
- Grilled Lemon Yogurt Chicken
- Air Fryer Fried Chicken Wings (Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free)
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Breast (Gluten-Free)
- Spatchcock Chicken Recipe Video (Roasted Butterfly Chicken)
- Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings
Best Lemon Herb Chicken Wings
- 2-3 lbs Chicken Wings
- 1 Lemon, sliced
- 1 tbsp Fresh Parsley, chopped for garnish
Lemon Herb Marinade
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 4 Lemons, juiced
- 6 Garlic Cloves
- 1/3 cup Fresh Parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp Fresh Sage, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp Fresh Rosemary, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh Thyme
- 3 tsp Paprika
- 3 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning (or herbs de provence)
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Sea Salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp Pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp Red Crushed Peppers, optional
- Prepare the lemon-herb marinade using the ingredients listed.
- In a large bowl, or oven-safe pan combined chicken and marinade. Mix well to evenly coat the chicken. If time permits allow the chicken to marinate for at least 2 hours (covered in the fridge).
- When ready to cook the chicken, preheat the oven to 400°F. (If the chicken was marinating in the fridge, remove the chicken from the fridge to allow it to come to room temperature before cooking)
- With chicken in an oven-safe baking dish, add sliced lemon and top with salt and pepper, about 1/2 tsp each.
- Cover the chicken with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove the foil covering. The chicken will have produced a lot of liquid while cooking. Carefully remove most of the liquid and bake the chicken (uncovered) for an additional 10-15 minutes to achieve a golden brown skin.
- Garnish with Parsley and serve.
Yum! I’ve been seeing so many tasty wing recipes lately it’s making me grave them. They look amazing!
Chicken wings are always a great food for a game or party but these look special. I know these lemon herb wings will be a new favorite.
Hi Melissa! SO glad you like!
Lemon and chicken go together so well. This looks delicious and I can’t wait to make it.
Chicken is always on the weekly menu over here because my boys are huge fans. I have all the ingredients for this recipe so I’m going to make this tonight. Yum!
These lemon herb chicken wings are amazing. I’d only ever had spicy wings before, but these have so much flavor!
Well, “Toot, toot!” is right. These look glorious. I am always open to chicken recipes that mix it up a little and this definitely meets that challenge. Yum!
Thanks!! Hope you enjoy!
Yummy recipe! Thinking of something to prepare for Father’s Day, I guess I could add this too.
Sounds like a great idea! 🙂
That herb chicken wings with lemon and herb combo looks just awesome. Love to have this for weekend movie night.
Hi Swathi! That sounds like such a great idea!
My husband loves to make different flavors of chicken wings. He is going to love trying these!
Your lemon herb chicken wings look incredibly delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us!
Anytime! Glad you like!
Any tips on trying this recipe with chicken breasts instead of wings?
Hi Liz, you can make the chicken breast just the same! The only difference is that you will bake it in the oven for a little less time, about 35-40 minutes. A meat thermometer should read 165 degrees in the thickest part of the breast.
I was thinking about chicken wings for tonight dinner. I will make your recipe!
This looks like a winner. I bet my family would enjoy this very much. Thanks for the recipe. I’ve just saved it. Can’t wait to give it a try.
Thanks, Natalie! I hope you enjoy!
Was very oily
Hi Sweets! Thank you for the feedback. Sorry you found the chicken very oily. The chicken typically accumulates a lot of liquid as it bakes. After 45 minutes of baking, I typically pour out the excess liquid, flip the wings, then put them back in the oven for 15 to get a crispy crust. I’ve added this information to the recipe card. Thanks for trying the recipe 🙂
Soooo tasty made it today seasoned and kept in fridge overnight. I love it. Falls off the bone. Followed your instructions all the way. I could not get sage anywhere so I used fresh coriander. Thank you so much and please send me more easy fish and chicken recipes. Thank you.
Hi Sabrina! I am happy you like the recipe and that the instructions were helpful! 🙂 I will most certainly continue to share more easy fish and chicken recipes. There are a ton on my site already if you want to try them!