Enjoy Gluten-free Fried Chicken coated in a maple bourbon glaze, pilled onto fluffy Apple Cinnamon Waffles! This dish is so good, no one would ever guess it is gluten-free! The texture of the fried chicken is perfect with the most flavorful, tender meat on the inside. Chicken and Waffles is a timeless soul food classic and deeply loved comfort food! Now, no one has to miss out! Enjoy this recipe for breakfast, brunch, or dinner!
If you want to skip the deep frying, and prefer a healthier alternative to make crispy fried chicken, try my Air Fryer Fried Chicken Wings. It saves a lot of time and takes a lot less oil!
Chicken and waffles always fills me with nostalgia; it was my favorite dish growing up. I’ve now turned my childhood favorite into gluten-free chicken and waffles so that anyone can enjoy them, especially those with gluten sensitivities!
Whether you are sensitive to gluten or not, this fried chicken recipe is a hit! The flavors are unmatched and the Maple Bourbon Glaze is out of this world! If anyone has ever doubted if gluten-free fried chicken tastes as good as chicken made with regular flour, then let me be the first one to say it tastes just as good, maybe even better!
View this post on Instagram
This gluten-free Chicken and Waffles recipe has been long-awaited! I originally shared the recipe on National Fried Chicken Day in July. I asked my IG friends if I should share my crispy chicken and waffles recipe and received a resounding yes!!
Ingredients Needed To Make Gluten-Free Fried Chicken:
- Chicken Wings: For this recipe, I use party wings – a mix of chicken wingettes (flats) and chicken drumettes (drums). You can easily double or triple the recipe and make as much chicken as you like.
- Flour: To make this recipe gluten-free, the wings are coated in gluten-free flour. I use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Flour. Make sure the gluten-free flour blend you use contains xanthan gum. If you are not sensitive to gluten, you can use regular all-purpose flour.
- Spices: Do NOT skimp on the spices. This is the key to making delicious fried chicken. You will need to season the chicken AND season the flour.
- Buttermilk: You can use regular buttermilk or dairy-free buttermilk. To make dairy-free buttermilk, mix 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar + 1 cup Non-Dairy Milk. Let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes, then it is ready to use.
Tips for making THE BEST Chicken and Waffles
Tip #1: Marinate the chicken!
Marinating the chicken in the buttermilk helps to tenderize the chicken. I recommend marinating the chicken for at least 2 hours. It may seem like a lot, but you will be so happy with the end result when you have flavorful, tender chicken.
Tip #2: Season the flour!
The spices added to the flour that transforms the chicken and makes it taste out of this world! Be sure to season your flour mixture for optimal flavor!
Tip #3: Make sure the oil is HOT
Heat the oil until it is 350°F. Use a instant thermometer to gauge the temperature. Make sure the oil is pipping hot before adding the chicken, otherwise you run the risk of making soggy fried chicken.
Maple Bourbon Glaze
It would be a disservice to you if I did not share the Maple Bourbon Glaze with you— trust me, it is finger-licking good! You only need 5 simple ingredients:
- Butter (vegan or non-vegan)
- Maple Syrup
- Bourbon (I use Maker’s Mark)
- Fresh Rosemary
The Maple Bourbon Glaze takes hardly any time to make. You simply combine the ingredients in a small saucepan and allow it to reduce. Once the Sauce is done, coat each of the wings. Any remaining sauce can be poured over your waffles. If you want more sauce, you can easily double or triple this recipe!
I hope you enjoy this Gluten-Free Chicken and Waffles Recipe as much as I do! If you make it, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments below! Take pictures, tag #goodfoodbaddie, and share them with me on Instagram! I love hearing from you!
More Gluten-Free Chicken Recipes To Try!
- Best Air Fryer Chicken Wings (Gluten-Free)
- Southwest Chicken Salad
- Dairy-Free Butter Chicken
- Buttermilk Roasted Chicken
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Grilled Spatchcock Chicken (Grilled Whole Chicken)
Gluten Free Fried Chicken and Waffles with Maple Bourbon Glaze
- 2 cups Buttermilk (Dairy// or Non-Dairy)
- 2 lbs Chicken Wing Sections (Party Wings)
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour (that contains xanthan gum) can sub with regular all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
Vegetable Oil, for frying
Maple Bourbon Glaze
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 White Onion, finely diced
- 1 cup Maple Sryup
- 1/2 cup Bourbon
- 1 tbsp Fresh Rosemary
- Apple Cinnamon Waffles optional
- In a large mixing bowl, add cleaned chicken pieces and season with the seasoning under 'marinade ingredients'. Mix well and make sure all the wings are coated in the seasoning. Pour the buttermilk over the chicken wings. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. (If you are using dairy-free buttermilk, follow the instructions in the notes below.)
- Remove the chicken from the fridge. Set a rack over a baking sheet and place the chicken wings on a rack to drain any excess buttermilk. Allow the chicken to come to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- In a gallon-sized Ziploc bag or shallow dish, combine all of the ingredients for the gluten-free flour mixture. Make sure it is mixed thoroughly
- In a large skillet, cast iron, or Dutch oven pour in 1-2 inches of vegetable oil and heat it until it reaches 350°F. Line a baking sheet with paper towels and set aside.
- Working with one piece of chicken at a time, place the chicken in the flour mixture, making sure all sides are evenly coated. (gently tap off any excess flour). Place the chicken in the oil and cook for about 7-9 minutes on each side (turning once), or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of each chicken reads 160°F. (Fry up to 4 pieces at a time.)
- Remove the chicken from the oil and transfer the chicken to the paper towel-lined baking sheet. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Coat the Chicken in the Maple Bourbon Glaze and serve over waffles!
Maple Bourbon Glaze Instructions
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter over medium low heat.
- Add diced onion and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and stir.
- Let the mixture simmer for 10 minutes as it reduces, stir occasionally.
- Non-Dairy Buttermilk = 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar + 1 cup Non-Dairy Milk (I use Almond Milk). Let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes, then use it.
- For the glaze, be sure to use pure maple syrup.
- To make the Apple Cinnamon Waffles I simply used my Gluten-Free Apple Cinnamon Pancakes Recipe and made them in a waffle maker! Here is the recipe if you want to try it: Apple Cinnamon Pancakes | Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free.
- If you do not have a gluten-sensitivity or intolerance, you can follow the recipe as it is and use regular flour instead of gluten-free flour.