Make perfectly crispy gluten-free Fried Chicken with Apple Cinnamon Waffles smothered in a glorious Maple Bourbon Glaze! This is surely a chicken and waffles recipe that everyone will LOVE!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for the support of goodfoodbaddie.com!
This gluten-free Chicken and Waffles recipe has been long-awaited! I originally shared the recipe on National Fried Chicken Day in July. I asked my IG friends if I should share my crispy chicken and waffles recipe and received a resounding yes!!
I originally made these gluten-free chicken and waffles for my boyfriend as a celebratory meal. It was his birthday and I told him I would make him a special meal of his choosing. When he decided he wanted chicken and waffles I knew I had to go all out!
Gluten-Free Fried Chicken
If anyone has ever doubted if gluten-free fried chicken tastes as good as chicken made with regular flour, then let me be the first one to say it tastes just a good, maybe even better!
The recipe I am sharing with you makes gluten AND dairy-free chicken and waffles, which makes this recipe allergy-friendly!
Tips for making THE BEST Chicken and Waffles
Tip #1: Marinate the chicken!
You can marinate the chicken using buttermilk. For a non-dairy option, create your own buttermilk using non-dairy milk and vinegar. Simply mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per one cup (8 ounces) of non-dairy milk. (I like to use Almond Milk or Oat Milk). Cover the chicken wings with buttermilk (dairy or non-dairy), seasonings, and allow the chicken to marinate for at least 2 hours in the fridge.
Tip #2: Season the Flour!
It’s very simple to make gluten-free fried chicken! Simply use Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour instead of Regular All-Purpose Flour! That’s it! I use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Flour.
While making this easy substitute makes this chicken gluten-free, it is the flavors added to the flour that transforms the chicken and makes it taste out of this world! Be sure to season your flour mixture for optimal flavor!
chicken and waffles
To make the Apple Cinnamon Waffles I simply used my Gluten-Free Apple Cinnamon Pancakes Recipe and made them in a waffle maker! Here is the recipe if you want to try it: Apple Cinnamon Pancakes | Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free.
Maple Bourbon Glaze
And of course, it would be a disservice to you if I did not share the Maple Bourbon Glaze with you— trust me, it is finger-licking good!
- You only need 5 simple ingredients:
- Butter (vegan or non-vegan)
- Maple Syrup
- Bourbon (I use Maker’s Mark)
- Fresh Rosemary
The Maple Bourbon Glaze takes hardly any time to make. You simply combine the ingredients in a small saucepan and allow it to reduce. Once the Sauce is done, coat each of the wings. Any remaining sauce can be poured over your waffles. If you want more sauce, you can easily double or triple this recipe!
I hope you enjoy this Gluten-Free Chicken and Waffles Recipe as much as I do! If you make it, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments below! Take pictures, tag #goodfoodbaddie, and share it with me on Instagram! I love hearing from you!
Gluten Free Chicken and Waffles with Maple Bourbon Glaze
- 2 cups Buttermilk (Dairy// or Non-Dairy)
- 2 lbs Chicken Wing Sections (Party Wings)
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1.5 cups Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
Vegetable Oil, for frying
Maple Bourbon Glaze
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 White Onion, finely diced
- 1 cup Maple Sryup
- 1/2 cup Bourbon
- 1 tbsp Fresh Rosemary
- In a large mixing bowl, add cleaned chicken pieces and season with the seasoning under 'marinade ingredients'. Mix well and make sure all the wings are coated in the seasoning. Pour the buttermilk over the chicken wings. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. (If you are using dairy-free buttermilk, follow the instructions in the notes below.)
- Remove the chicken from the fridge. Set a rack over a baking sheet and place the chicken wings on a rack to drain any excess buttermilk. Allow the chicken to come to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- In a gallon-sized Ziploc bag or shallow dish, combine all of the ingredients for the gluten-free flour mixture. Make sure it is mixed thoroughly
- In a large skillet, cast iron, or Dutch oven pour in 1-2 inches of vegetable oil and heat it until it reaches 350°F. Line a baking sheet with paper towels and set aside.
- Working with one piece of chicken at a time, place the chicken in the flour mixture, making sure all sides are evenly coated. (gently tap off any excess flour). Place the chicken in the oil and cook for about 7-9 minutes on each side (turning once), or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of each chicken reads 160°F. (Fry up to 4 pieces at a time.)
- Remove the chicken from the oil and transfer the chicken to the paper towel-lined baking sheet. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Coat the Chicken in the Maple Bourbon Glaze and serve over waffles!
Maple Bourbon Glaze Instructions
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter over medium low heat.
- Add diced onion and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and stir.
- Let the mixture simmer for 10 minutes as it reduces, stir occasionally.
- Non-Dairy Buttermilk = 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar + 1 cup Non-Dairy Milk (I use Almond Milk). Let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes, then use.
- For the glaze, be sure to use pure maple syrup, like this one.
- To make the Apple Cinnamon Waffles I simply used my Gluten-Free Apple Cinnamon Pancakes Recipe and made them in a waffle maker! Here is the recipe if you want to try it: Apple Cinnamon Pancakes | Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free.
- If you do not have a gluten-sensitivity or intolerance, you can follow the recipe as it is and use regular flour instead of gluten-free flour.
Looking for more delicious chicken recipes to try? Try these!