A spin on the infamous snickers ice cream bar, but homemade and healthy!! This Homemade Snickers Ice Cream Bar is a decadent treat filled with homemade nice-cream, date caramel, salted peanuts, and topped with rich chocolate. It’s Vegan, Gluten-Free, and Refined Sugar-Free!
Snickers ice cream bars were my favorite growing up!
Anyone else?! My mom would bring home a whole box and the bars would hardly last an entire week. I don’t know what I loved more: the creamy caramel, the sweet ice cream, the salty crunch from the peanuts, or the milk chocolate; I just loved it all! So, of course, I couldn’t help myself but make a homemade version. Now that I have, I think this may be my new favorite dessert recipe! 🙂
Here are just a few reasons why you’ll love these Homemade Snickers Bars.
- An Easy No-Bake Chocolate Dessert
- These Snickers Ice cream bars are gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free!
- Taste EVEN BETTER than the real thing!
- Used with REAL ingredients
What layers are used to make this Snickers Ice Cream Bar?
- Peanut Butter Nice Cream is used to make the ice cream filling. It is dairy-free, vegan, and absolutely delicious!
- The healthy, sweet caramel filling will be made with dates. Here is my date caramel recipe! It is naturally sweet and rich, perfect for these ice cream bars!
- Salty Peanuts, because it wouldn’t be a snickers bar without that perfect crunchy, salty layer!
- Chocolate, and lots of it! These ice cream bars and coated from top to bottom in chocolate so seal in all the delicious layers. Make sure to use Vegan Chocolate, ones without dairy, minimal ingredients, and higher cacao percentages. Here are two great vegan chocolate options: Trader Joe’s Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chip and Lily’s 70% Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Bar
The first layer is the nice cream and it is super easy to prepare! You’ll need:
All you’ll need to do is blend all of the ingredients together in a high powered blender or food processor until it is smooth and creamy. After blending, you’ll need to transfer the mixture into a parchment-lined bread pan. The reason we are using a bread pan is to help achieve the perfect bar shape once the nice cream is frozen. Once the nice cream is in the freezer, you can move on to the next step. The nice cream will need at least 3 hours to freeze over.
Feel free to make the nice cream days ahead, it keeps well in the freezer and can be used whenever you are ready.
Making Date Caramel
Making Date Caramel is easy and only requires a few ingredients and a blender. You can find my date caramel recipe here.
A few tips for making the date caramel that will be used for these homemade snickers ice cream bars:
- If your dates are too dry (not sticky to the touch), soak them in water for about 10 minutes before blending.
- When blending the dates, slowly add in the water and almond milk until you achieve a uniform consistency. You should not have to add more than ½ cup of water.
- You can add peanut butter to make the caramel a bit creamier. The flavor is subtle and hardly detectable.
The best way to melt chocolate
Double Boiling Method
Add the crushed chocolate or chocolate chips to a heatproof glass bowl. Place the glass bowl over a pot with simmering water. Using a rubber spatula or whisk, gently stir the chocolate until it is completely melted, about 1-2 minutes. DO NOT add water when mixing the chocolate because this will cause the chocolate to harden.
Add the crushed chocolate or chocolate chips to a bowl. Place the bowl in the microwave and heat the chocolate for 30 seconds at a time, removing and stirring between each time. Continue to repeat this method until the chocolate has melted.
After you have all your layers ready, the last step is simple: Layer it up!
The trick here is to move fast. You do not want the nice cream to melt as you are adding the various layers. Once assembled, transfer the Homemade Snickers Bars back into the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
Now These Homemade Snickers Bars are Yours to Enjoy!!
Homemade Snickers Ice Cream Bars
Peanut Butter Nice Cream
- 1 can Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 4 Medjool Dates, pitted
- 1 tbsp Peanut Butter
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1.5 cup chocolate chunks (vegan)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup date caramel
- 1/2 cup Salted Peanuts
- Line a bread pan with parchment paper and set aside
- In a food processor or high powered blender, add all the nice cream ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into the bread pan and place in the freezer until it is fully frozen, at least 3 hours.
- Using a high powered blender, make the date syrup. (both the nice cream and date syrup can be made days in advance for easy assembly when ready.)
- Prepare the melted chocolate by using the double boiling method or microwave method (mentioned above). Combine the coconut oil into the chocolate while melting.
- Once ready to make the Snickers Ice cream bars, remove the nice cream from the freezer. Use the extra parchment paper to remove the nice cream from the bread pan. Slice the nice cream into bar sized pieces. (should result in 6-8 ice cream bars).
- Top the ice cream bars with date caramel and peanuts. Then, dip the ice cream bars into the melted chocolate. Finish by adding the remaining melted chocolate on top and place the ice cream bars back into the freezer to firm, at least 30 minutes.
- You can enjoy the ice cream bars immediately after they have firmed or leave them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 weeks!
- You can find my easy Date Caramel Recipe Here
- I prefer melting my chocolate using the double boiling method and adding coconut oil as it is melting, but use whatever method you like best!
- These bars can last up to two weeks in the freezer. When you are ready to enjoy them, take the bars out of the freezer and let sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes to soften for a more enjoyable experience!