Are you a pasta lover but looking for a healthy pasta alternative? Do you also love a creamy, savory sauce but without the dairy? Well, this pasta recipe offers everything you are looking for in a healthy, flavorful pasta! With hearty oyster mushrooms, savory sautéed spinach, caramelized onions, fresh rosemary, mixed with zucchini noodles and topped with a rich cashew cream sauce, this vegetable pasta is a low-carb, protein-rich, pasta lovers dream!
This pasta is one of my easy go-to-dishes for a quick, healthy weeknight dinner. It’s super filling, quick to make, and packed with tons of nutrients that leave me feeling refreshed instead of the normal carb coma that comes with eating heavy pasta.
The quickest way to make this veggie-loaded cashew cream pasta
I like to start by using the quick hot method to soak the cashews. Simply boil 3 cups of water and once the water reaches a rolling boil, pour the water over the cashew and allow the cashews to soak for 15-30 minutes. In the video below, I show you how to use the cold soak method.
While the cashews are soaking, I prepare my vegetables. The beautiful thing about vegetable pasta is that you can use any vegetables you like! I made my pasta with oyster mushrooms, spinach, and onions. You can also add broccoli, shredded carrots, cherry tomatoes, or any of your favorite vegetables to this dish!
ZOODLES for noodles!
Instead of using pasta noodles, which inherently mine would be gluten-free pasta noodles, I use zucchini noodles! Zucchini noodles are the PERFECT, low-carb, gluten-free pasta noodle replacement. Using a spiralizer (linked is my favorite one), you can make up to three different styles of pasta! But don’t worry if you do not have a spiralizer, you can use a vegetable peeler, a grater, or a knife.
Why Zucchini Noodles?
Besides the fact that zucchini noodles are a tasty, healthy, gluten-free option, they are also nutrient-dense, low in calories, AND low in carbs! Zucchini:
Filled with antioxidants
Helps promote healthy digestion
Helps reduce blood sugar
Helps promote bone, thyroid, and prostate health
Filled with tons of fiber magnesium, lutein, and vitamin K
So not only does this pasta have immense nutritional benefits from the zoodles, but also from the cashews, spinach, mushrooms, and onion. This easy, one-pot dinner provides you with:
19.4 grams of protein per serving
Less than 600 calories
Tons of Vitamin D, Calcium, Iron, and Potassium
Try this Cashew Cream Veggie Pasta for an easy, delicious, nutritious weeknight meal!
Cashew Cream Veggie Pasta
For the Cashew Cream
- 2 cups cashews
- 1.25 cups water or broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or coconut cream (optional)
- 1/2 squeezed lemon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 2 cloves garlic
For the Veggie Pasta
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (or coconut oil)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 3 zucchinis for noodles
- Soak Cashews according to the hot method or cold method mentioned above.
- After soaking, drain and transfer the cashews to a food processor or blender. Add the water or broth, lemon, salt, garlic, and seasoning to the food processor. Add the almond or coconut milk in as needed to reach the desired creamy consistency
- Set cashew cream aside. Prepare zucchini noodles using a spiralizer or food grater.
- Over medium heat, sauté chopped onion for -3-5 minutes, until golden brown. Add and saute chopped mushrooms until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Add spinach and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until wilted. Add seasonings and stir well.
- Add in zucchini noodles and mix in with the sautéed vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Then pour the cashew cream onto the zucchini noodles, making sue to mix the ingredients well. The cashew cream sauce should warm in the pan while you are stirring, about 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with Italian Seasoning, serve, and enjoy!