Air Fryer Chicken Wings are a healthier alternative to fried chicken and made without oil, but still have that same delicious crispiness you crave. These crispy air fried chicken wings are easy enough for a weekday meal but fancy enough to serve when hosting. Below are instructions for making chicken wings in the air fryer and an option to bake them if you prefer. Whichever you decide, these chicken wings are the perfect appetizer, side dish, or entree! (This recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free!)
The air fryer has become my favorite way to make chicken wings because it makes the crispiest wings in the shortest amount of time. It takes the guesswork out of what’s for dinner. The only thing left to figure out is if you’re team drumsticks or flats!
These are the Best Air Fryer Chicken Wings! They’re:
- Super Easy: Easier than oven-baked chicken wings; made in half the time so you can spend more time eating and less time preparing the meal.
- A Healthier Option: A great alternative to fried chicken wings, this recipe is made with no flour, oil, or deep frying!
- Gluten-Free: Make crispy gluten-free chicken wings that do not require any breading or flour, but are still super crispy and delicious!
- Great for Gatherings: Chicken wings are always a hit for parties, game days, and other social gatherings. Everyone will enjoy them!
- Chicken wings: I use drums and flats. Be sure to defrost frozen chicken wings before air frying.
- Seasonings: I use a delicious combination of Herbs de Provence, smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and poultry seasoning (optional) to make the perfect dry rub mixture. Don’t skip the spices. They are the key to making the best chicken wings.
- Baking powder (aluminum-free): Skip the oil and opt for baking powder instead. The baking powder helps absorb any moisture and ensures the skin of the chicken gets extra crispy. Add the baking powder when adding the seasonings.
How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Wings
Start by cleaning the chicken and patting it dry with a paper towel. Preheat the air fryer to 380°F for 3-5 minutes. Then toss the wings in seasoning and baking powder. Cook at 380°F for 10 minutes then flip and cook for an additional 7 – 10 minutes.
I’ve made these wings in an Instant Vortex Air Fryer and a Yedi 7 QT air fryer. Keep in mind that cooking time varies depending on the type of air fryer you use. Adjust time accordingly and be sure to use an instant thermometer to check the doneness. Chicken is fully cooked at 165°F.
How to Make Crispy Oven-Baked Wings
If you do not have an air fryer, you can certainly make crispy wings in the oven! Preheat the oven to 400°F. While the oven warms up, coat the wings with seasoning and baking powder. Bake them for 45 minutes to 1 hour, flipping halfway through. Use an instant thermometer to determine doneness, it should read 165°F when fully cooked. Enjoy!
The Best Sauce for Air Fried Chicken Wings
Once the wings have been cooked to crisp, golden brown perfection, you can enjoy them as is. While ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing, and hot sauce are great, nothing elevates wings like an easy homemade sauce recipe.
Luckily, I have an assortment to choose from! Just toss the cooked wings in a large bowl with the sauce of your choice.
- Hot Honey Sauce: This easy three-ingredient recipe is a sweet spicy sauce perfect for wings!
- Homemade Barbecue Sauce: This BBQ sauce is tangy, sweet, smoky, and finger-licking good!
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings: Add melted butter to your preferred buffalo sauce for a real kick of flavor.
- Maple Bourbon Glaze: This sweet, sticky sauce would taste so good with the crunch of these wings!
- Easy Jerk Sauce: A sweet, spicy, savory mix of mouthwatering Caribbean flavors like allspice, scotch bonnet peppers, and thyme.
Tips to make the best chicken wings:
- Remember to pat the wings dry before cooking them. This removes excess moisture and results in crispy chicken wings.
- Do not overcrowd the air fryer basket. There should be room between the wings so the air can circulate properly. Place the wings in a single layer. You may need to cook the wings in batches.
- Reheat leftovers in the air fryer so they’re just as crispy as when you first cooked them.
What to Serve with Air Fried Chicken Wings
- Fries: Want to duplicate a takeout meal while saving money and calories? Pair your chicken wings with Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries or these Air Fryer French Fries.
- Veggies: For added nutrition, enjoy this with a delicious side of vegetables like these Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts or Air Fryer Asparagus.
- Salad: A Caesar Salad would go well with some crispy wings.
- Pasta: Make it a comfort meal with some deliciously creamy Homemade Mac and Cheese.
I Hope You Enjoy This Air Fryer Chicken Wings Recipe!
If you try the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments below! Take pictures, tag #goodfoodbaddie, and share them with me on Instagram and Pinterest! I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchen
More Delicious Air Fryer Recipes!
- Air Fryer Salmon
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
- Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- Air Fryer Tuna Steak
Best Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- 2 lbs Chicken wings (drums and flats) defrosted if frozen
- 2 tsp Herbs de Provence (or Italian Seasoning)
- 1 1/2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Poultry seasoning optional
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper or to taste
- 2 tsp Baking powder, optional aluminum-free
- Cooking Spray
- Clean and pat dry your chicken wings with a paper towel. Add the chicken to a large bowl with the seasonings and baking powder. Make sure all the wings are coated in the seasoning.
- Preheat the air fryer to 380°F for 3 minutes.
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket with oil. Place the chicken in a single layer into the air fryer basket. Do not overcrowd the air fryer basket or place chicken on top of each other.
- Cook at 380°F for 10 minutes. Then, flip the chicken and cook for another 7-10 minutes, until no longer pink and an instant thermometer reads 165°F. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to work in batches so that the wings are not overcrowded.
- Transfer the chicken wings to a plate and serve with your favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy!
How To Make Crispy Oven Baked Wings
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Season the wings with the seasonings and baking powder.
- Place the seasoned wings on an oven-safe wire rack in a single layer. Bake for 45-1 hour, flipping every 20 minutes. The total cook time will depend on the size of the wings but may take up to 1 hour. Use an instant thermometer to determine doneness, it should read 165°F when fully cooked.