Skip the store-bought mix. Making cornbread from scratch is super easy, especially with this gluten-free honey cornbread recipe! Make fluffy, moist, buttery cornbread with perfect golden crispy edges, filled with sweet honey and bits of corn! (Gluten-Free with Dairy-Free Option)
Making cornbread from scratch is the best! Try our Sweet Potato Cornbread or Pumpkin Cornbread next! Make sure to drizzle Hot Honey Sauce on your cornbread for a sweet, spicy kick!
This content contains affiliate links, which help goodfoodbaddie.com to provide free recipes and resources. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support of the blog!
Making cornbread from scratch is easy as pie! However, most people tend to avoid doing so because it can easily become dry, dense, or completely flavorless. The key to avoiding that from happening is using the proper ratio of ingredients.
This cornbread recipe gives you incredibly fluffy, flavorful cornbread that is not only completely gluten-free but can easily be made dairy-free by using vegan butter instead of regular butter! The cornbread is perfectly sweetened with natural sweeteners: honey and coconut sugar, which means it’s refined sugar-free and just a bit healthier without compromising on the flavor!
Keys To Making The Best Gluten-Free Cornbread:
- Butter: The richness of the butter gives the cornbread its signature flavor! It also helps to make the bread insanely tender and fluffy! You can use vegan butter if you would like to make this cornbread both gluten-free and dairy-free.
- Applesauce: This isn’t typical in most cornbread recipes, but it should be! The applesauce helps bind the ingredients while adding a bit of sweetness to the bread. More importantly, it helps so that the bread does not dry out when baking. If you want perfectly moist cornbread, do not skip adding the applesauce!
- Cornmeal and Gluten-Free Flour: Cornmeal is, of course, the main flavor and key ingredient. To make the best cornbread you want to add the flour and cornmeal in equal parts. One cup of cornmeal and one cup of gluten-free all-purpose flour will give you stunning results! This is the gluten-free flour I use: King Arthur Flour, Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Mix | Amazon NOTE: If you are not sensitive to gluten, you can use regular all-purpose flour.
- Coconut Sugar: Coconut Sugar is one of my favorite natural sweeteners. Just a bit of coconut sugar, plus the honey (and applesauce), gives this cornbread the perfect amount of sweetness. If you do not have coconut sugar you can use brown sugar. Here is the coconut sugar I use: MADHAVA Organic Coconut Sugar | Amazon.
- Corn: Yes, this is a cornbread recipe with corn, which means bits of sweet corn are folded into the cornbread batter before it is baked. Each bite of this buttery sweet cornbread is filled with tasty pieces of corn. I LOVE the added texture and flavor it gives the cornbread!
- Baking Powder: The baking powder helps the cornbread rise while helping to create the perfect fluffy texture. One tablespoon is necessary for this recipe and gives you the best results.
- Want Vegan Gluten-Free Cornbread? Instead of eggs, use flax egg to bind the ingredients (2 tbsp ground flax + 5 tbsp water) and vegan butter instead of regular butter. To replace the honey, use more coconut sugar, about 1/2 cup or 1/3 cup maple syrup.
- Want Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Cornbread? Simply use vegan butter instead of regular butter.
- Want To Take Your Cornbread To The Next Level? Try our Homemade Sweet Potato Cornbread recipe!
How to Make Gluten-Free Honey Cornbread
- Sift together the gluten-free flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine the honey, non-dairy milk, melted butter, egg, applesauce, and sugar.
- Pour the mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. DO NOT OVERMIX
- Fold in the sweet corn.
- Lightly coat a 9×9 (or 8×8) baking sheet with butter
- Pour the batter into the baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread pan comes out clean.
- Let the cornbread cool for 5-10 minutes. Then cut into squares. Serve with butter and more honey.
Does Cornbread Contain Gluten?
Gluten is in most cornbread, typically in the flour used to make cornbread. There can be other gluten-containing ingredients as well. If you are using a cornbread mix, unless it is labeled gluten-free, it is safe to assume it contains gluten.
Luckily, this recipe is completely gluten-free and super easy to make with 10 simple ingredients!
Is Cornmeal Gluten-Free?
Cornmeal is made from ground corn, making it naturally gluten-free. However, cross-contamination during the manufacturing process can occur. Be sure to purchase cornmeal that is labeled gluten-free, if necessary.
What Type Of Cornmeal To Use To Make Cornbread?
The type of cornmeal you use will impact the texture of your cornbread. If you use finely ground cornmeal, your cornbread will be smooth and cake-like. Medium grind will make the cornbread cake-like with a bit more crunch, especially along the edges and crust. Coarsely-ground cornmeal will give you dense crunchy cornbread.
NOTE: I use medium-grind cornmeal. Bob’s Red Mill Medium Grind Cornmeal | Amazon
How To Store This Cornbread?
You can store the baked cornbread covered at room temperature for up to two days or the fridge for 5 days. You can also place the cornbread slices in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag and freeze for up to 2 months. When ready to enjoy, thaw the cornbread overnight in the fridge first.
What to Serve with Cornbread:
- Instant Pot Barbeque Ribs | GF + DF
- White Bean Chicken Chili | GF + DF
- Air Fryer Crispy Fish | GF + DF
- White Bean Quinoa Chili | Vegan + GF
- Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup | GF + DF
- Air Fryer Fried Chicken Wings | GF + DF
- Wild Rice Mushroom Soup | GF + Vegan
I hope you enjoy this Gluten-Free Honey Cornbread Recipe!
If you try the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments. Leave a quick review & star rating ★ below! Take pictures, tag #goodfoodbaddie, and share them with me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest! I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchen.
If you love making delicious gluten-free bread from scratch, check out these next!
Gluten-Free Honey Cornbread Recipe
- 9×9 or 8×8 Baking Dish
- 1 cup Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour (that contains xanthan gum) (can sub with regular all purpose flour)
- 1 cup Yellow Cornmeal (I use medium-grind cornmeal)
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 2 tbsp Coconut Sugar (can sub with brown or cane sugar)
- 3/4 cup Nondairy Milk
- 5 tbsp Butter, melted (can use vegan or regular butter)
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup Applesauce
- 1 cup Sweet Corn (fresh, thawed, or canned, drained well)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Sift together the gluten-free flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the honey, non-dairy milk, melted butter, egg, applesauce, and sugar.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. DO NOT OVERMIX. Then, Fold in the sweet corn.
- Lightly coat a 9×9 (or 8×8) baking sheet with butter. Pour the batter into the baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean
- Let the cornbread cool for 5-10 minutes. Then cut into squares. Serve with butter and more honey.
This dish is everything and more. You had me at cornbread! Thanks for sharing.
You’re welcome, Megan! GLad you liked it!
love a good cornbread recipe! how yummy!!
This homemade cornbread is so superior to store-bought and has such great flavour from the honey. SO many delicious ways to serve and enjoy this!
Thank you so much, Alexandra! From scratch is always ten times better, right!? I am glad you enjoyed the recipe
I tried and use maple syrup and turn out great! My sister in law who has celiac enjoyed the gluten-free version. Thank you
I am so glad to hear it! Thanks for leaving a review 🙂
This was a perfect addition to my chili recipe. So delicious! Thanks for sharing!
Yumm! I love cornbread with chili! Glad you liked the recipe!
This came out so moist and fluffy! We loved the honey flavor and the real corn mixed in.
I am so happy you liked it! I love bites of corn in my cornbread but I know not everyone does. I am glad to hear you enjoyed it
This cornbread had just the right chew and the perfect amount of sweet. Thanks for sharing!
You’re welcome, Marta! It’s my pleasure!
I love how you take the classics and convert them into gluten free masterpieces.
Awe! Thank you so much Robin!!
This cornbread was so good and the perfect addition to chili night!!
I love cornbread and chili! I am glad you enjoyed the recipe 🙂
Love the addition of the corn without it being overpowering!
I am glad you like the corn in the bread! I think it adds a nice texture!
I am obsessed with this cornbread recipe! It is so most and delicious. The perfect balance of sweet and savory. I can’t wait to make it again soon.
Hi Tamara! I love to hear it!! Thanks for leaving a review
The maple syrup made this so delectable!! I loved each bite!
I am so glad you liked it! Maple syrup is such a great alternative to honey!
I always know I can come to you for a great gluten-free recipe! This was no exception! So yummy! I did the vegan version and subbed flax eggs.
Hi Mila! I am happy you enjoy my recipes! And glad you enjoyed the vegan version of this cornbread 🙂
Absolutely delicious! Had to make two batches, it was gone within a day.
Hi Eden! Glad you liked the recipe!! Thank you for leaving a review
Loved the use of applesauce in this cornbread and it came out perfectly moist. Thanks!
Thanks Jazz! Glad you liked!
Hello, can I use coconut oil instead of butter?
Hi Dee, that should work just fine. 🙂
Turned out perfect!!! I love the pieces of corn in it too. Thank you for the recipe
You’re welcome, Tim! I am glad you like! Thanks for leaving a review 🙂