This Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup is a rich, savory soup filled with fresh vegetables, seasoned chicken, smoky bacon, and pillowy textured gnocchi. It is the perfect cozy, hearty soup to warm you up on a chilly evening. This flavorful soup is completely dairy-free and gluten-free.
If you’re here you’ve most likely tried Olive Garden’s Infamous Chicken Gnocchi Soup and want to make your own version at home. Not only is this recipe better than the restaurant version, but it is also incredibly creamy and dairy-free! Follow The Step-By-Step video in the recipe card or check out crockpot instructions below!
What do you need to make This Dairy-Free Chicken Gnocchi Soup?
- Mirepoix: A mix of chopped carrots, celery, and onions.
- Peppers: Poblano and Jalapeno
- Chicken Breast: 1 pound cut into large cubes, which will then be shredded once fully cooked.
- Bacon: Applewood smoked bacon is the best for this soup and gives the soup a subtle smoky flavor. (feel free to omit the bacon)
- Aromatics: Fresh Oregano, Rosemary, and Garlic add depth to the soup
- Chicken Broth: I use 4-5 cups of chicken broth. The ingredients will first simmer in chicken broth until it is time to add the cream.
- Cashew Cream: I LOVED how the cashew cream impacted this recipe. I usually use coconut cream as my dairy-free go-to but decided to use cashew cream in order to avoid the detectable coconut flavor that comes with using coconut cream. I am so happy I did! The cashew cream took on all the flavors used in the soup and made the soup mouthwatering and creamy! Even if you are not dairy-free, I would recommend using cashew cream instead of heavy cream; it was phenomenal! Cashew cream is simple to make and here is my quick method recipe for making the perfect cashew cream.
- Gnocchi: There are many pre-made gnocchi options available. In this recipe, I use frozen gnocchi.
Quick Way to Make Cashew Cream
- For this recipe, place 1 cup of raw unsalted cashews into a medium bowl.
- Boil 2 cups of water and pour the hot water over the cashews. Allow the cashews to soak for at least 15 minutes.
- When ready, place the cashews (drained) in a blender with 1/2 cup vegetable broth (or chicken broth). Slowly add broth until you reach a creamy, smooth consistency.
For a more detailed recipe or for tasty variations on this cashew cream, check out my post: How to Make Cashew Cream.
How to make this Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup in the Crockpot?
If you are making this soup in the dutch oven, simply follow the recipe instructions below. If you are making this soup in the Crockpot, you will need to alter a few steps.
- To get the best flavor, first, pan-sear the chicken slightly to form a golden crust and maximize the flavor. In a medium pan over medium-high heat, add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once the oil has heated, add chicken. Season the chicken with cayenne pepper, oregano, and Italian seasoning. Saute the chicken for only 3-4 minutes, making sure to add the bacon chunks during the last minute.
- Remove the chicken and bacon from the heat and add the chicken to the Crockpot with the remaining ingredients (except the cashew cream, kale, and gnocchi). Cook the soup on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- After the soup is cooked and the ingredients are soft, use two forks to shred the chicken (while inside the soup). Next, add the cashew cream, kale, and frozen gnocchi to the Crockpot. Cook the soup on high for 1 hour. Season with Salt and Pepper. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup!
If you try the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe, and let me know what you think in the comments below! Take pictures, tag #goodfoodbaddie, and share them with me on Instagram! I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchen.
If you would like more tasty soup recipes, try these!
- Easy Pork Pozole Verde Recipe
- Potato Parsnip and Leek Soup
- Homemade Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- Immunity-Boosting Coconut Carrot Lentil Soup
- Creamy Wild Rice Mushroom Soup | Vegan + GF
- Chicken Pozole Rojo Recipe
Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- 1 lb Boneless Chicken Breast, cut into bize size pieces
- 4 Slices of Bacon
- 1/2 Red Onion, chopped
- 6 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 3 large Carrots, chopped
- 3 Celery Stalks, chopped
- 1 Poblano Pepper, chopped
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers, chopped Optional
- 5 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 tbsp Fresh Oregano
- 1 tbsp Fresh Rosemary
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning or Herbs de Provence
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Red Crushed Peppers
- 1 1/2 cup Cashew Cream
- 1 cup Kale
- 2 Packages Frozen Gnocchi (I use TJ's Cauliflower Gnocchi)
- Salt and Pepper, as desired
- In a large Dutch Oven pot over medium heat, add 1-2 tbsp olive oil then add 1/2 red onion, chopped. Sauté the onions for about a minute, then add the minced garlic. Sauté the garlic and onions for about 3-5 minutes to caramelize the onions.
- Add the sliced chicken breast and pan sear for about 2-3 minutes. Season with cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, red crushed peppers, salt, and pepper.
- Add sliced bacon and sauté for about 1-2 minutes. Next add the chopped celery, poblano pepper, jalapeño peppers, and carrots. Mix all the ingredients together and pour in 4 cups of chicken broth and add the fresh oregano and rosemary.
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat to a low heat and simmer for 2-3 hours, or until the vegetables are soft and chicken is tender/ making sure to stir occasionally.
- Next, add the cashew cream, gnocchi, and kale. Cover the pot and simmer on low for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the soup before serving and garnish with chopped green onion. Enjoy!