This Greek Quinoa Salad is a deliciously wholesome combination of fluffy quinoa mixed with vibrant veggies, fresh herbs, and feta cheese, tossed with a homemade lemon basil vinaigrette. This spin on traditional Greek salad is perfect for potlucks, picnics, and meal prep. (This recipe is gluten-free and vegetarian.)
This loaded Greek quinoa salad is filled with cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, artichokes, and more! It’s colorful, full of texture, and bursting with bright citrus flavor thanks to the zesty lemon basil vinaigrette.
Take your taste buds on a ride with each forkful of this Mediterranean salad. It’s a bold yet refreshing dish that will easily become a go-to meal. It is a light enough side dish that pairs perfectly with your favorite protein, but filling enough to enjoy on its own.
Reasons This Greek Quinoa Salad Recipe Works
- Easy to Make! Prepare all of your ingredients and combine them. With minimal prep time, this simple recipe makes meal prep a breeze.
- A Crowd Pleaser! The quickest way to win over your guests is to make something delicious that almost everyone can enjoy and this quinoa salad meets the criteria.
- A Healthy Side Dish or Meal. The main ingredient in this recipe is quinoa, a superfood packed with protein, vitamins, and minerals. Combine that with fresh herbs, crisp cucumbers, juicy tomatoes, and other produce for a refreshing and nutritious meal of substance.
- Customizable! Build your perfect quinoa salad bowl with your preferred veggies, protein, and salad dressing. Make this Greek salad vegan by simply vomiting the cheese or using vegan feta cheese
What is Quinoa?
Quinoa is a protein-rich grain and a vegan protein. It includes all the essential amino acids. Cooked quinoa is nutty with a chewy texture. It is often used as a healthier alternative to rice.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Quinoa: Use your preferred brand and cook it according to the package instructions.
- Large English Cucumber: Add sliced cucumbers for extra crunch.
- Organic Mixed Cherry Tomatoes: Sliced in half.
- Mixed Olives: For briny flavor, use whichever pitted olives you prefer. I suggest kalamata olives.
- Large Avocado: This healthy fat is cut into cubes. It adds a creamy quality. It’s totally optional but highly recommended.
- Marinated Artichokes: This adds a savory flavor and even more texture.
- Red onion: Finely sliced.
- Fresh Basil: Chopped.
- Feta Cheese: This adds a salty, savory taste to the salad. Toss it in the salad and add more for garnish. Omit to make this salad vegan.
- Fresh Cracked Pepper: To taste.
- Fresh Parsley or Dill: Chopped for garnish.
Lemon Basil Vinaigrette
- Olive Oil: The base of the dressing.
- Fresh Basil: Packed.
- Honey: For a touch of sweetness.
- Lemons: Fresh lemon juice adds a pop of citrus flavor.
- Seasoning: Season simply with salt and pepper.
- Garlic Cloves: For garlicky flavor.
- Red Crushed Pepper: This optional ingredient has a peppery bite that adds subtle heat.
How to Make Greek Quinoa Salad
COOK QUINOA. Cook quinoa according to package directions.
PREPARE LEMON BASIL VINAIGRETTE. While the quinoa is cooking, combine all of the Lemon Basil Vinaigrette ingredients in a blender or food processor. Then blend until smooth. Transfer into a small bowl or jar and set aside.
PREPARE VEGETABLES. Prepare the veggies for the salad. Chop the cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, avocado, and basil.
When the quinoa is finished, set it aside and allow it to cool for 10 minutes.
COMBINE INGREDIENTS. Transfer the pasta to a large bowl. Add all of the veggies, chopped basil, and feta cheese to the pasta. Then top with the Lemon Basil Vinaigrette and mix well. If time permits, cover the pasta salad and place it in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
GARNISH. Top the quinoa Greek salad with fresh ground black pepper, more feta cheese, and dill/parsley. Finally, enjoy!
Variations + Substitutions
- Vegan Greek Quinoa Salad: Simply omit the honey and feta cheese for a plant-based meal.
- Add More Protein. Make this a main dish by adding chicken, garbanzo beans or chickpeas.
- Salad Dressing. Want a more savory dressing? Try quinoa salad with a balsamic dressing.
- Add Hummus: add a dollop of Edamame Hummus or Sweet Potato Hummus for a tasty, creamy addition.
Tips To Nail the Recipe
- Prepare quinoa in advance in order to save time. This is also a great way to use up leftover quinoa.
- Quinoa has a natural coating known as saponin which has a bitter taste. So before adding quinoa to a pot, rinse it.
- Fluff the cooked quinoa with a fork.
Store leftover Greek quinoa salad in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Store the lemon vinaigrette separately in an airtight jar for up to 2 weeks.
Why is Greek salad so healthy?
Greek salad is low-calorie and rich in nutrients. Greek salad with quinoa simply adds protein, making it a more filling dish.
What to pair with quinoa?
Quinoa is so versatile. The delicate flavor means it pairs great with plenty of foods. So it can be added to vegetables, beans, herbs, or meat.
Do you heat up quinoa salad?
Quinoa can be eaten hot, cold, or at room temperature. Heating the quinoa salad with the fresh veggies tossed in is not recommended. This salad is best enjoyed cold.
I Hope You Enjoy This Greek Quinoa Salad Recipe!
If you try the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments. Leave a quick review & star rating ★ below! Take pictures, tag #goodfoodbaddie, and share them with me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest! I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchen.
More Gluten-Free Greek Recipes To Try!
- Greek Lamb Burgers Recipe
- Greek Chicken Meatballs
- Grilled Greek-Style Lemon Yogurt Chicken
- One-Pot Greek Orzo with Lamb Meatballs
Greek Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 Large English Cucumber sliced
- 1 cup Organic Mixed Cherry Tomatoes sliced in half
- ⅔ cup Mixed Olives pitted
- 1 Large Avocado, optional cut into cubes
- 1 12 oz Jar of Marinated Artichoke drained
- ¼ cup Red Onion finely sliced
- ¼ cup Fresh Basil chopped
- ½ cup Crumbled Feta Cheese plus more for garnish
- Fresh Cracked Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp Fresh Parsley or Dill chopped for garnish
Lemon Basil Vinaigrette
- ⅓ cup Olive Oil
- ½ cup Fresh Basil packed
- 1 tsp Honey (or agave for vegan option)
- 2 Lemons juiced (about ¼ cup)
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- ¼ tsp Red Crushed Pepper optional
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- While the quinoa is cooking, combine all of the Lemon Basil Vinaigrette ingredients into a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Transfer into a small bowl or jar and set aside.
- Prepare the veggies for the salad. Chop the cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, and basil.
- When the quinoa is finished, set is aside and allow it to cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the pasta into a large bowl. Add all of the veggies, chopped basil, and feta cheese to the pasta. Top with the Lemon Basil Vinaigrette and mix well. If time permits, cover the pasta salad and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Top the quinoa greek salad with fresh ground black pepper, more feta cheese, and dill/parsley. Enjoy!