Enjoy a delicious brussels sprout salad filled with shaved brussels sprouts, crispy chickpeas, pickled cabbage, avocado, hazelnuts, and pecans all tossed in a simple lemon vinaigrette. It is a flavorful, crunchy, warm salad that is perfect for a filling lunch or a tasty side dish! (This recipe is completely vegan, gluten-free, and easily customizable.)
Love Brussels Sprouts? Then, you have to try our Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Butternut Squash or Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts next.
This shaved brussel sprout is the perfect side dish to accompany just about any meal OR, it can be enjoyed on its own! It is easy to make and ready in less than 15 minutes! This salad will quickly become your go-to for a quick, nourishing dish!
Reasons You’ll Love This Salad:
- It’s a great side dish to serve at holiday dinners!
- Takes very minimal effort to make, yet is incredibly tasty.
- It’s a hearty, robust salad filled with complimentary textures and flavors!
- So good, even the pickiest of eaters will enjoy it!
Ingredients You’ll Need To Make This Warm Brussels Sprout Salad Recipe
- Brussels Sprouts: Use a sharp knife to cut the brussels sprouts into thin shavings. Alternatively, you can use a mandoline slicer to shred brussels sprouts even quicker.
- Crispy Chickpeas: The crispy chickpeas have a bold smoky flavor. The quickest way to make crispy chickpeas is in the air fryer. Use my air fryer crispy chickpea recipe or you can roast the chickpeas in the oven for about 25 minutes.
- Creamy Lemon Basil Vinaigrette: Toss the ingredients for the lemon vinaigrette into a blender, and blend until smooth. The vinaigrette brings all the flavors together and gives the salad a bright lemony taste!
- Avocado: The variety of textures is what makes this salad so great. The avocado adds a creaminess that balances out the crunch!
- Nuts: Chopped hazelnuts and pecans add a nice crunch to the salad. You can use any type of nuts you like. Almonds and walnuts are also great options.
- Pickled Red Cabbage: Adding the cabbage is completely optional. It adds a tangy, briny crunch to the salad. Use store-bought pickled cabbage or make it at home yourself!
- Crispy Shallots. Slice the shallots then and briefly saute them in olive oil for a few minutes until they are crispy. Then sprinkle them on top of the finished salad.
- Cheese. Blue Cheese, Parmesan Cheese, or Feta Cheese would be great additions.
- Fresh Fruit. Thinly sliced apples, pomegranate seeds, or sliced pears would elevate the salad.
How To Shred Brussels Sprouts Easily:
- Using a sharp knife, cut the root end off of the brussels sprouts. Then, remove any tough, broken, or discolored outer leaves.
- Thinly slice the brussels sprouts lengthwise into a few thin rounds. You can also cut the brussels sprout in half lengthwise first, then cut it in thin slices crosswise.
One clever hack is to use a food processor for shaving brussels sprouts. Simply cut them in half, then add the halves to the food processor. Pulse two to three times, or until all the brussels sprouts are shredded. It will not result in the most aesthetically pleasing salad, but it will certainly taste just as good!
Tips For Making The Best Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad
- Do Not Overcook The Brussels Sprouts. Shaved Brussels sprouts cook quickly. It only needs to cook for a few minutes with a bit of cooking oil, salt, and black pepper. Overcooking the Brussels sprouts could result in an unsatisfying, soggy salad.
- Save Time And Make Ahead. You can shred the Brussels Sprouts up to two days in advance and store them in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.
- Make The Salad With Raw Brussels Sprouts. You can skip the cooking step and enjoy super crunchy shredded raw brussels sprouts in your salad if you prefer.
- Make It Nut Free. Add seeds like pepitas or sunflower seeds for an equally nut-free crunch.
- Customize The Salad To Your Liking. Add whatever add-ins you like! Add a protein like crispy bacon or roasted chicken to make this salad a full meal.
What To Serve With This Warm Brussel Sprout Salad
- SERVE IT AS A SIDE. Pair it with a main dish like this Buttermilk Roasted Chicken, Spatchcock Turkey, or Honey Garlic Salmon for an incredibly flavorful meal.
- MAKE THIS SALAD A MEAL. Enjoy it on its own, or add extra protein! Crispy Chicken Breast, Air Fryer Salmon, or Chicken Meatballs are great options!
- ENJOY IT WITH PASTA. Pasta and salad are always a good idea. Pair it with our Creamy Salmon Pasta or Creamy Lobster Pasta!
Storage And Leftovers
Store any leftover Brussels sprouts salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. The lemon juice in the vinaigrette will help preserve the salad and also give it more flavor over time. The salad is best enjoyed the same day it is prepared for the best texture but is still suitable for a tasty salad for lunch the next day. If enjoying leftovers, do not rewarm the salad, instead enjoy it cold.
I hope you enjoy this Warm Brussels Sprouts Salad Recipe! If you try the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments below! Take pictures, tag #goodfoodbaddie, and share them with me on Instagram and Pinterest! I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchen.
More Salad Recipes To Try!
- Best Southwest Chicken Salad!
- Vegan Caesar Salad
- Detox Cucumber Salad
- Beetroot Salad with Feta and Orange
- Easy Healthy Salad Recipes!
- Wild Rice Salad With Pomegranate and Arugula
Easy Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad (V/GF)
- 1 lb Brussels Sprouts, washed, stems removed, and roughly chopped/shredded
- 1 Medium Ripe Avocado, thinly sliced pit removed
- 1/4 cup Chopped Hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup Chopped Pecans
- 1 1/2 cups Crispy Chickpeas plus more for garnish
- 1/3 cup Pickled Red Cabbage, optional (store bought or homemade)
- 2 tsp Avocado Oil, or cooking oil of choice
Creamy Lemon Basil Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Fresh Basil, chopped packed
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp Agave Syrup or maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Red Crushed Pepper, optional
- 1 Shallot, thinly sliced and sauteed
- 1/2 cup Shredded Parmesan
- 1/3 cup Pomegranate or Dried Cranberries
- 1 Green Apple, skin removed and thinly sliced
Make The Lemon Basil Vinaigrette
- Toss the ingredients for the lemon vinaigrette into a blender, and blend until smooth. Store the dressing in the fridge until ready to use. (It can last in the fridge for up to one week.)
Prepare The Salad
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the cooking oil. Add the shaved Brussels sprouts, and season with salt and black pepper. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until the brussels sprouts has wilted slightly. Stir often so that the brussels sprouts are evenly cooked.
- Remove the brussels sprouts from the heat and transfer them to a large bowl. Add the nuts, crispy chickpeas, pickled cabbage, and optional add-ins. Toss the salad in the dressing.
- Transfer to a serving dish, if desired. Add sliced avocado on top and garnish with more crispy chickpeas. Enjoy!